Some Like it Hot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacksnipe

Jan 20, 2008
Bayfield Co. WI.
My youngest daughter ( 25 ) always complains about being cold during this time of year, last month she moved into a 1000 sq. ft cottage in N. MN with her man. They complain the pass through wall furnace in running constantly & is noisy, she mentioned they need to shop for a wood stove & asked if I could help. Last weekend I ran into a super buy on a Summers Heat 50-SN30 & had it loaded into the truck for it's new home into there small home. That should take care of the winter chills I told them :p

Mighty big stove for a small place. Be sure it's installed safely.

Dear lord, I couldn't imagine running my 30 in a 1000 sqft cottage. It's a challenge to keep this beast from running the first floor of the house up into the 90's in our 1600sqft house.

They won't have any trouble staying warm with that thing. No doubt!!

-SF

I knew that going shopping, I seriously looked at the smaller NC13 model that was sitting on a pallet next to the big boy. The firebox was pretty small for a overnight burn for the climate we have in this state. It can get down to -25 or lower

At below zero temps, I can actually keep my stove going 24/7.

Even if the cottage isn't insulated well, the 30 will probably do the tick!

-SF

While the stove is a bit bigger than they will need most likely, I've found that my 30 really runs well w/ a small load in it. Much better than my old fisher would have. With that said, they'll be prepared until it's down to about -50 and still be ok burning. They just won't need to load the firebox to the gills every time.

pen

This is what I was thinking for sure, I wonder if some of the people on this forum that live in the southern states know what it is like to live in an area that gets -25 to -30 temps also wind chill effects to -60 to -75 below
These conditions are not for the faint of heart, there are not many roaming around outside during these periods..

jacksnipe said:
This is what I was thinking for sure, I wonder if some of the people on this forum that live in the southern states know what it is like to live in an area that gets -25 to -30 temps also wind chill effects to -60 to -75 below
These conditions are not for the faint of heart, there are not many roaming around outside during these periods..

It is when these colder temps set in day and night for long stretches that makes a difference too. It helps a lot when there is at least a modest warm up during the daytime to help out. When that doesn't happen your stove better be up to the task. Heating my house when temps are in the teens and 20's is nothing compared to below zero temps. My stove will keep up but there is not much room for error in timing a reload.

Ahh... the range. Too bad birch and pine are just about all you can get up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.