Some wood needs cutting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
When we had the crew come in for the pines they had to clear an area for the chipper and trucks. It was mostly brush but they did save the good oaks and a couple cherry trees. I hope to be able to work on these this week but not sure. That will be wood for 2015-2016. Have some other pressing duties to attend to and then it sounds like it might turn a bit wet later on in the week.

Oaktobecut-1.gif

Oaktobecut-2.gif

Cherrytocut.gif

Looks like ripe fruit waiting to be picked. Sounds like you are up on wood, too. Very nice!

[quote author="Backwoods Savage" date="1323665914"]When we had the crew come in for the pines they had to clear an area for the chipper and trucks. It was mostly brush but they did save the good oaks and a couple cherry trees. I hope to be able to work on these this week but not sure. That will be wood for 2015-2016. Have some other pressing duties to attend to and then it sounds like it might turn a bit wet later on in the week.

Hope everything is good Sav, looks like some nice cutting. Sav, I used the MTD for the first time since mid August on the Hemlock & Pine, started on the second pull.

zap

Nice looking job there Dennis. You should be able to take your time and enjoy that. Good ground to work on, looks like a nice area with plenty of room around you. Don't work to hard. Have a good one.

Thanks Boom Stick.

Zap, ours tends to be the very same way. We usually only run it in the spring and it then sits in the barn until the following spring. This year I took it to a neighbor's in mid summer and it started on the first pull. Same thing when the next door neighbor wanted to use it. He was going to have his 16 year old daughter run it so I started it for her. It did take 2 pulls that time, which was only a couple weeks ago. Now it can sit until March or April again.

Yes Gas, that will be some easy cutting but I hope I can get it done before much snow. If not, it will wait until next March or next fall. I'm in no particular hurry.

Looks like they gift wrapped them for you. I had our logger take the big pines around the house 5 years ago. It has been interesting to see the growth with the canopy opened up.

I thought about having them pull those oaks out further but decided to just leave them there and then no problem with the left over brush.

Those are they perfect size Dennis. Really large trees are good but after all the mid size stuff is cut up and then comes the chore of the main tree that's when I get wore out. :( Sounds like you don't split at all the winter?

Right. I do the splitting right after snow melt or even a bit before if the weather turns warm. That way I do all the splitting at once rather than monkeying with moving the splitter to where I am cutting. Besides, I don't want to have to change the oil so it will start easier either. Just regular hydraulic oil but that stuff gets pretty stiff when it is cold.

That leftover oak will be happy to wait for you until such time that you can get to it. We work around things like weather and priorities. Yet somehow it always seems to get done eventually, regardless. Having worked towards getting so far ahead in wood supply as you have, it's hard to imagine much difference if the trees wait another year or 1/2. Take your time and be safe.

I have dreampt of having wood years and years in advance. (and I actually have been dreaming of wood, I must have caught something from this forum) but I don't think I have the space. Nice score though. hopefully the weather holds out for you long enough.

Dennis, those pictures are awesome. You will be able to produce quite a bit of firewood for seasons to come, nice...

Fredo

Sweet . . . all laid out in a pile for you . . .

Thats pretty good pile there. Should keep you busy for a few.

And we've been looking around quite a bit lately and even this afternoon we found more ash than we thought we had. I was hoping to get them all cut this year but now I'm thinking 2-3 more years of cutting ash until they are all gone. Then we'll maybe slow down a bit. I should have cut today as it was such a great day but have a couple projects that will keep me indoors maybe most of this week. We'll see what next week brings.

Not really. It's actually quite nice. I cut up the cherry today.

Backwoods savage, as I play with my new stove I am wondering about damper control. I am keeping temp at 200 degrees and throwing splits of oak into stove when needed. My damper is around 3/4 open to keep stove at 200 degrees and if temp rises a little higher I have no problem with that.
When I close damper down to half or all the way down, temp drops of course but now I am in range where stove will be creating creosote according to gage.
Is there not an adequate draft and that's why I am unable to close damper down or am I doing something wrong?
I hope I made some sense for you to understand?

Thanks
Fredo

Looks like a good location to have a fire to burn the brush as you limb.
Warm fire, cutting fire wood, it don't get much better than that. (well maybe some hotdogs & smores that evening)
Real nice first round of those logs, that machine don't leave a hinge. :)

Bogudave,

Imlay city is a nice, rural, community to have a warm and toasty fire. As a matter of fact I got up at 3 a:m to sit in front of my toasty new stove while my family is fast asleep.

My kids are already begging me to roast marshmallows over the stove. I told them in order to get that privilege they would have to split and stack a face cord of wood and than I might think about it! I told them the dangers of stove and I would have to roast and consume the first bag of marshmallows to break our new stove in, deeelish! It's great being king of my jungle.

Fredo

Fredo said:
Backwoods savage, as I play with my new stove I am wondering about damper control. I am keeping temp at 200 degrees and throwing splits of oak into stove when needed. My damper is around 3/4 open to keep stove at 200 degrees and if temp rises a little higher I have no problem with that.
When I close damper down to half or all the way down, temp drops of course but now I am in range where stove will be creating creosote according to gage.
Is there not an adequate draft and that's why I am unable to close damper down or am I doing something wrong?
I hope I made some sense for you to understand?

Thanks
Fredo

Fred, when putting in fresh wood you should run that draft full open until the wood gets started good. You no doubt will have to run a bit further open than most just because of the wood you have but 3/4 open sounds a bit much. Most folks will drop to 25% open or less after the fire gets established.

Dennis, thanks for all the help as I am learning how to burn my stove efficiently.

Fredo

Dennis, if the weather gets the best of you, the wood will still be there in the spring. I can't imagine it getting punky over the winter if the ground is frozen. I thought I was ahead with nearing completion of my 2013/2014 supply, you got me beat so far.

Backwoods Savage said:
And we've been looking around quite a bit lately and even this afternoon we found more ash than we thought we had. I was hoping to get them all cut this year but now I'm thinking 2-3 more years of cutting ash until they are all gone. Then we'll maybe slow down a bit. I should have cut today as it was such a great day but have a couple projects that will keep me indoors maybe most of this week. We'll see what next week brings.

This weekend looks perfect!

Status
Not open for further replies.