Something wrong with my splitter . Doesn’t want to start

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I am betting that if the OP pulls the valve cover off, gives both valves a couple of love taps (gently, but enough to move the valve, and this must be done on the valve side of the rocker arm), the valve will probably pop back into its seated position. Put the cover back on and start this thing.

I am betting that if the OP pulls the valve cover off, gives both valves a couple of love taps (gently, but enough to move the valve, and this must be done on the valve side of the rocker arm), the valve will probably pop back into its seated position. Put the cover back on and start this thing.
My thoughts exactly...

Reactions: jaoneill
image.jpg
Ok , in garage now . Pulled the cover .thats what I see left valve is not moving , push rod rocker arm is loose

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Do I need to take all head off ?

I can see left valve is stuck . Should I pull it gently ? Or not gently ? Or take the whole thing off

Do I need to take all head off ?

No, just loosen the adjuster nut on top, then the main nut a bit, and swivel the rocker arm back over the ball on the push rod. You'll have to check on the torque specs and or if there's any valve lash that's required for that motor.

I don't know if there's lash on those or not, you'll have to look on the service manual that someone linked, or look it up online. then you simply tighten the jam nut against the main nut till it's good and snug.

What happened is the adjuster came loose and the rocker arm slipped.

You should pull that pushrod and make sure it didn't get bent first before doing anything else and look for any damage on the end, etc..

When you're done, you want it to look just like the other rocker setup, of course. I'm betting there's no (clearance) necessary between the pushrod end and the tip of the rocker on that motor, but you need to verify that for those motors. If there needs to be clearance, you slide a feeler gauge in there, and have to check it after TDC, all very simple to do, and we can walk you through that if there needs to be some gap.

First check that the push rod isn't galled, and that there's no damage on the rocker. Also check to see if you can what the torque specs are for the rocker nut and jam nut.

Surprised that engine wasn't running like crap and sounding like crap the last time it was ran.

Ok , the update : the push rod was ok , it was just displaced because the valve was stuck . I gently pulled valve out of position and now it’s going up and down . Installed push rod back and now instant difference in engine movement . Gonna assembled the thing and try to start

Ok, stared from third pull

Thank you guys for all the help

Thank you guys for all the help

Make sure you properly adjust the clearance between the rocker and valve spring tappet or whatever its called. This is very easy to do so don't get nervous about but very important.

The manual should have the spec and small adjustments can make a large difference in many cases. The rocker is usually a bit loose at TDC.

Edit Oop I see Dodgy got you on this.

Thank you for manual . It was really helpful to understand what I’m doing
No problem, might help with maintenance and any future repairs too
Ok, stared from third pull
Wah-hoo!

Thank you guys 0for all the help
You're welcome! And now you know a little bit more about working on your splitter too! :)
FYI, if you are going to continue to store it outdoors long term you may want to consider using fogging oil on it as part of the storage prep. Use it per instructions and it will keep the internals of the engine (valves) rust free. It may cause the engine to smoke for a bit upon start up, but hey, at least its running...and the smoke will clear up shortly. You can buy fogging oil at any decent auto parts store or online.

No problem, might help with maintenance and any future repairs too
Wah-hoo!

You're welcome! And now you know a little bit more about working on your splitter too! :)
FYI, if you are going to continue to store it outdoors long term you may want to consider using fogging oil on it as part of the storage prep. Use it per instructions and it will keep the internals of the engine (valves) rust free. It may cause the engine to smoke for a bit upon start up, but hey, at least its running...and the smoke will clear up shortly. You can buy fogging oil at any decent auto parts store or online.
One more thing I’ve learned . Thank you

Reactions: brenndatomu