Somewhat woodstove related

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

meathead

Feeling the Heat
Nov 13, 2008
Central Maine
This morning around 2 am I got up to utilize the facilities and check to be sure the stove was still cranking away. I got out of bed and tip toed over the dog towards the bedroom door trying not to wake my wife. Just as I reached the door, my wife - talking in her sleep as she often does - asks "oh, jeez, is your head ok?". I ask her "is it ok from what?" Sometimes I can get a pretty interesting conversation going when she's talking in her sleep. "You went to check the stove and hit it" she said, and then she was out like a light. I tried to keep the convo going but that was all I could get out of her...I promptly turned around and smacked my head on the half open bedroom door.

It was interesting. Not interesting enough to stay up and ponder at 2am - but interesting.

Next time make sure you have a pencil and paper handy. See if she comments on what those winning Powerball numbers "were"...

I'm boxed in along a wall, so my challenge is to get over the sleeping beauty without stepping on her at 3:30am to check the stove.
I always wake up at 3:30 - internal clock knows the stove needs fuel. UNLESS - I have a bunch of apple in there - oak is nice, but Apple is the ultimate - then I don't wake up until 5:30.

'Frank

Tonight at 2 a.m. could you ask her what stocks will be rising and which ones will be falling . . . I could use some help with my 401K . . . unless this would be considered Insider Trading . . . I don't want to end up like Martha Stewart. :) ;)

firefighterjake said:
Tonight at 2 a.m. could you ask her what stocks will be rising and which ones will be falling . . . I could use some help with my 401K . . . unless this would be considered Insider Trading . . . I don't want to end up like Martha Stewart. :) ;)

I would - but the way I see it, it's a high risk operation on my end. What if I wake her up in the middle of a dream about me breaking my leg or something?

meathead said:
firefighterjake said:

I would - but the way I see it, it's a high risk operation on my end. What if I wake her up in the middle of a dream about me breaking my leg or something?

:) Good point . . . better not risk it.

Where in eastern CT do you live by the way? My brother-in-law lives in Stafford Springs and my mother-in-law hails from Ellington . . . I believe both of those places are considered eastern CT.

My wife says weird stuff. Complete gibberish- I get nervous when she starts gesturing with her hands. Grabs me by the face. Throw karate moves at me. She does a lot of talking to our dogs in her sleep- sometimes they look up confused, but sometimes they're downstairs. I often wake her up laughing when she does this.

kenny chaos said:
Since that historic "coming out" on Hearth.com, my wife won't let me sleep with her anymore.

Yep! My husband thinks you all are a bunch of obsessive pyromaniacs and can't understand my fascination with all the technicalities of wood burning. This thread, if he ever saw it, would just about seal up his case.

He hasn't kicked me out of the bedroom yet but wants to hear no more of my 'pearls of wisdom and humor' that I have gleaned here in the past year.

By the way, he has no appreciation of how well I burn wood....Can you believe that. :lol:

perplexed said:
By the way, he has no appreciation of how well I burn wood....Can you believe that. :lol:

Bastage >:-(

perplexed said:

Thanks for reminding me. When I get home from work I usually go right to the stove to see how it's burning.
It's been perfect every time for a few weeks now with clean glass and a nice bed of coals and charred wood and I've been impressed.
I need to commend her for this.

My wife had the day off yesterday , so I got the stove going good in the morning, put a nice pile of splits
outside the basement door, and headed to work. About 10:00 I had the urge to call her and "check on the
fire" but I didn't. I walked in about 5:00, house was hot, fire was good, beer was cold... I asked her how
the fire burned all day and she just smiled at me and proceeded to ask me why I spend so much time
tending the fire and surfin' Hearth.com...

I didn't have a good answer ;-)

firefighterjake said:
Where in eastern CT do you live by the way? My brother-in-law lives in Stafford Springs and my mother-in-law hails from Ellington . . . I believe both of those places are considered eastern CT.

I'm in Old Lyme - pretty small town about an hour from Ellington

Perplexed and others - I'm in the process of trying to get my wife interested in burning, but as of now I hear you as far as lack of appreciation goes. We have yet to even come close to having to turn the heat on (electric baseboard), and what do I get for my efforts? Yesterday evening I woke from an after work nap on the futon to feel cold air rolling down the basement stairs - stairs lead up to the front door. My wife had come home and for whatever reason closing the front door hadn't been very high up on her priority list. To top it off, I use a floor fan to push warm air across my house where it cools and falls through a register in the basement, which gets a pretty good cycle of warm air going up the basement steps. The fan, which must have been in her way, was moved right into the front door - on high of course - pulling outside air in.

I laughed it off, but deep down I liked her better when she was making me hit my head on stuff. I'm planning to get her a good pair of gloves and have her keep the fire going for a few nights this week. If all goes well, she'll get the bug and be posting on here within the month. At a minimum, hopefully she'll close the front door when it's under 30* out:)

PS Any man who doesn't appreciate a woman who runs a hot woodstove is missing out in my opinion. He can probably walk right by a pretty girl on a tractor or horse or driving a flatbed truck and not bat an eye too.

meathead said:
...I promptly turned around and smacked my head on the half open bedroom door.

Well, at least it was the bedrrom door and not the woodstove door!

Status
Not open for further replies.