sooteater rods - white or black?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jpcjguy

Jul 1, 2015
richmond, va
Hi all,

Looking to get a sooteater setup. I have a Enviro Boston 1700 in my fireplace with an insulated liner. Run is about 33-34'. The run is pretty much straight up. slight curve from where I had to cut the damper and fit the liner through. Should I get the white rod kit or black? I read the white is more flexible - but is that needed for me? I have no 45 or 90 degree bends? Plan on going from the bottom - no roof access - too tall off the roof and no way I am doing a ladder on that pitch!
I ordered a SLK-24 kit from Tractor Supply for $99 (with the white rods) and 2 extension kits, but I was not paying attention and the extension kits are for the pellet version and not compatible.
So I can order 2 black rod kits (6' each) to get me to 36' for another $55. Or return it and get the 36' all white kit off amazon for $163.
Price is comparable - so not sweating that - but wondering if having some of the stiffer black rods would be better for my long run. (did I seriously just type that?!?!)

Thanks,
Joe

(ignore the antenna (long gone) and red line - old pic but gives you the idea
house_back.jpg

I have the black rods I bought maybe 6nor 7 yrs ago. Trouble free with my short run connected to insert. I’d also wonder With the height of chimney you have the more flexible rods might be a little whipy.

Isn't whippy good though? I have black rods and have broken at least one. I would prefer the thinnest whippiest rods possible unless there is some other drawback. Is the white rod material really soft and less durable? The head self centers as it spins so long as overly stiff rods aren't pushing to one side like near a flue bend.

I have white rods. 26-27' up after the thimble, and about 2 ft horizontal. So while white is better because of the elbow for me, I have no issue going up. You're not that much higher. Don't know how the black ones would do though, so a one-sided experience.

Isn't whippy good though? I have black rods and have broken at least one. I would prefer the thinnest whippiest rods possible unless there is some other drawback. Is the white rod material really soft and less durable? The head self centers as it spins so long as overly stiff rods aren't pushing to one side like near a flue bend.
I would imagine they’d both work fine for the OP., whipy or not.