Sorry - dumb question about Mt Vernon wall controller wiring

J Bone Posted By J Bone, Jul 26, 2018 at 11:07 AM

  1. J Bone

    J Bone
    New Member 2.

    Jan 21, 2018
    Hi all,

    I apologize, because I realize that this is definitely not a big deal and anyone with any electrical knowledge probably already knows this. But not me.

    Short story - I need to pre-wire our new house for the wall controller for my Quad Mt Vernon AE, and will then have the stove installed later on, after the house is complete (basically the contractor doesn't want the liability of installing it).

    I know that I need to run a low-voltage 3-strand in-wall wire to the wall controller location.

    The question: What kind of outlet and wall-plate should I use behind the stove to run the wire into the wall? Does it matter? I am assuming that I need a low-voltage gang box, right? What kind of wall plate - maybe one of those ones for TV wiring with the brushes, like this:

    Or will it get too hot back there fore those little bristles?

    Again sorry. I can't seem to find any instructions anywhere for the installation of the wall controller, and realized that I had no idea about this particular piece of the puzzle.

    Thanks a lot!
  2. jpeterson2322

    New Member 2.

    Feb 11, 2018
    Kewaskum, WI
    Depends on your local electrical code in your area, but most in most cases a data ring is fine. Data rings aren't technically boxes though. I would also run a 5 wire thermostat wire instead of a 3 wire. Probably overkill but you never know what technology might come along on your next generation stove and it might need it.

    As far as the faceplate, I would just get a blank cover and drill a hole the size of the cable and run it through. That eliminates the question of if the bristles would melt, which I highly doubt would happen. Those were out when some of the original plasma TVs were out and those things could almost heat your house.

Share This Page