Speaking of "Chunk piles"................

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I could probably burn for a whole season with one of these 2 :)
24.jpg 29.jpg

Reactions: AnalogKid
Is that first one real? I can't imagine a tree of that size.

You never been out west into any of the boreal rain forest to see the massive trees out there? Yes, it could be real, hard to say from an old bw photo, but there are trees down the west coast that are that big. These days anything that big is usually in a national park or other protected area.

As for burning something like that, think I'd have a little trouble getting it onto the splitter - guess it'd be a "vertical" split ;)

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I remember reading how they were fed very well at the camps... They burned something like 5000 calories a day back then.. Amazing the work they did back then...all by hand...

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I remember reading how they were fed very well at the camps... They burned something like 5000 calories a day back then.. Amazing the work they did back then...all by hand...

I'm sure they were hungry. Anytime you need to boost morale of an isolated wokring group of men, lots of good food is a great way. The men on submarines are fed very very well. Not that they work as hard but they need a boost in morale.

Reactions: charly

Hell, I've seen pics of American Chestnuts that looked to be 10' in diameter, and there are species that grow much larger than Chestnuts....

I've only been to the Redwoods once and yes the trees are that big and bigger.
If you get a chance to see them you won't be disappointed.
It"s kind of a shame to think there is only about 5% of the trees left.

Here's the largest single-stem tree currently on the planet.

Sherman.jpg

Better than 500 cords in the trunk, BTW.

I had some good pictures of some monsters when I went out to California, lost all the pics when my computer died, or at least I haven't been able to find them on the old hard drive. Some amazing trees out there.

We've been around a few big ones. Pictures below are of me and my wife. I was by redwoods and my wife by a cottonwood.

Cottonwood-Judy.JPG Cottonwood-Judy-2.JPG Denny by big redwood.JPG Denny on Redwood stump-2.JPG Denny thinking about cutting one redwood.JPG Figuring how to notch it-b.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.