Speeco 15 T splitter questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
W

Woooody

I bought this splitter new and am amazed at how much work it does and how fast the cycling was. It's a high-low speed cycle depending on load and I think now it's only working on the low speed cycle, so much slower than originally when new.

Now there is also a squeal, wheeze, or whistle when under load splitting. It wasn't that way before.

What is going on, and how do I fix? It still splits fine just way slower than it was.

Lastly, can I have an opinion on the Speeco 15 ton splitter from the community? I've never had another splitter so don't have anything to compare it to. From what I've been splitting more than 15 T is overkill for power. Seems like it would split anything with no trouble. I've split knotty blocks of wood 3 feet across that I couldn't even pick up to load onto the splitter. Wife and I made a ramp and rolled the blocks into place to split.

My only wish is that it would have had the horizontal, vertical feature, which it doesn't. Other than that it is darn handy and produces well with two people running it. If I worked steady I'm sure I could probably split 2 or more cords of wood a day, if it was all cut up and just laying there ready to split and haul away.

Thanks for your input.

check fluid level, sounds like pump starving for fluid there might be a screen in the tank at the connection of the hose/ pipe to pump- could be blocked by crud. I don't remember the configuration of every unit. air mixed with low oil will make a lot of noise. make sure none of lines are kinked or crushed. fluid should be clear not milky ( indication of water in oil) if oil is foamed when looking in tank after running a bit indication air mixed into oil - mostly caused by low oil level. Always a possibility of a valve or pump problem. need to install a pressure gauge in line/s to check further. Personally I have never had a pump go bad, but it does happen, I have worn out 2 valves over the past 20 years. Current one says made in US but I haven't figured out by who yet. it is not 3001 prince unit. pretty sure I got it from Northern but don't see that style on web pages. got a model # but will have to pull it to find a mfg name if it has one.

The above are all good suggestions. An install of a pressure gauge on the push side of the system would help in quick diagnosis of the problem.
Personally I suspect the pump is stuck in the low volume/high pressure stage.

All very helpful comments and suggestions. I'll go through them all. Thank you.

The above are all good suggestions.
Personally I suspect the pump is stuck in the low volume/high pressure stage.
Can you just hit it with a hammer to unstick?

Most pump bodies are cast (some are aluminum). I would normally recommend not hitting cast with a hammer - cast is tough but brittle. IF I were going to do that, I would use a dead blow hammer, not steel. If there is a mechanical defect such as a broken spring, etc. it probably won’t do anything.
IF you (the OP) proceed - do it with caution. Remember that this has not been diagnosed as the problem, simply a hunch on my part.

You took the bait ... great response Jags... I asked so he could see what not to do ..

On the flip side - if it is the pump its hard to break something that is already broken.:p:p:p