Speeco 22 ton problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cachunko

Burning Hunk
Apr 20, 2015
michigan
I'm sure it's not unique to speeco, but here is what is going on. It seems like when the hydraulic fluid is cold, the "auto return" function won't fully retract the ram. It will only go a few inches and it stops doing it automatically. If I hold the lever, it fully retracts no problem. Once the splitter has been running and working for say 15 or 20 minutes (and I think the hydraulic fluid is warm???) it starts working like it's supposed to. I'll pull on the lever and it will automatically retract all of the way up. And it seems like the problem is slowly getting worse.

Any idea on what my problem is? When the unit was new it didn't do this. It's terribly annoying.

The release detent is probably set a bit low or worn. Take the handle off of the spool and turn the spool 180 degrees (just use a screw driver in the slot where the handle goes to turn it). Replace handle. See if that fixes your issue.

Forgive my lack of knowledge regarding your terminology, but I'm assuming the "spool" is the part with those allen head screws in this picture? (I'm not sure this is my exact valve, but the picture looks close.)

20+GPM+1+SPOOL+SPEECO+LOG+SPLITTER+VALVE_L.jpg

Last edited:
I finally found my answer over at arboristsite I think.

One user stated, "I've heard that if the detent gets worn you can unhook the handle, turn the internal sleeve 180 deg. and re install the handle. I don't think there is any adjustment."

There is no adjustment. I can't find where anyone has posted whether or not rotating the internal sleeve works or not. It kind of sounds like a last ditch effort. The next step wound be to just replace the valve.

Ok. I'm going to try rotating that sleeve. If that doesn't work, the last thing I want to replace it with is with another speeco valve. This thing is only about 5 years old. It looks like prince is the way to go. It looks like they have a direct replacement - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00URLXQTE/?tag=hearthamazon-20

Is there any reason why I shouldn't get that one. Should I get a different one? The most popular one on northern tool is quite a bit different.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_472_472

The "sleeve" of which you speak is the spool. The part that slides back and forth within the body of the valve. Give it a turn. It will only take a couple of minutes and should do the trick.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
Thanks Jags. Your knowledge about this kind of stuff and your choice to help others is greatly appreciated!

That is what this place is all about. Folks helping folks in their quest to keep their homes warm.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Any update?

No :( It's been so rainy here in my part of Michigan that I haven't been back out. Just playing with it with the machine off, it feels like the detent part is "locking in" more securely (not sure of the terminology here). It's not supposed to rain for the next week so I'll post back in a few days and let you know how I make out. But I think it's going to work.

My splitter (not a Speeco) is almost to that point too I think. It is usually good when horizontal, but when vertical it's a pain - lots of time as soon as I let go of the lever after pushing it full retract, the detent lets go just from gravity on the lever. Think I'll be OK the rest of this year, but might do the 180 thing for next.

Getting in the splitting frame of mind...

I've been living with this for the last couple years. I think I did the spool rotate thing early in its career.

Is this the only fix? There is no adjustment?

Here is my real one. I think I'll do the spool rotate thing again (although it did it almost when new), and try adjusting the release detent pressure (turn bolt clockwise)...when the weather lets up, of course.

20170331_113517_resized.jpg