spent some time with the hatchet last night...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboyAndy

Feb 29, 2008
Chateaugay, NY
DSC00560.jpg

its all pine, for kindling. 6-8" long, most are about the size of a 2X4. This is from 3 rounds of a 26", 60' tree. Still slot more to get from it.

Heres my question, how long should i wait to use it? the tree was felled 2 years ago and has been sitting in the sun since then. However, when I bucked and split into chunks a month ago, it was really juicy. at the size it is now, how long should it take to season? fyi, im not plabbing to use it this year, but it would be nice to know that i could if i wanted to...

I'm guessin that stuff would burn pretty good in 30 days. I like to take 2x4's and such, cut off's, and split 'em with the old hatchet. I got 3 big trash cans full of that stuff, it's the best for startin' fires.

You have been buzy!

Careful Andy if you burn Pine you'll get hair growing on the palms of you hand.

CowboyAndy said:
DSC00560.jpg

its all pine, for kindling. 6-8" long, most are about the size of a 2X4. This is from 3 rounds of a 26", 60' tree. Still slot more to get from it.

Heres my question, how long should i wait to use it? the tree was felled 2 years ago and has been sitting in the sun since then. However, when I bucked and split into chunks a month ago, it was really juicy. at the size it is now, how long should it take to season? fyi, im not plabbing to use it this year, but it would be nice to know that i could if i wanted to...

It's already seasoned. Split small it will dry quickly. Here's an idea: try burning some. That will tell you more than a thousand expert opinions.

Bigg_Redd said:
CowboyAndy said:
DSC00560.jpg

It's already seasoned. Split small it will dry quickly. Here's an idea: try burning some. That will tell you more than a thousand expert opinions.

Well, it's def not seasoned right now. It was cut in late august from a tree that has been down about 2 years, but was really juicy when I cut a few rounds.

Split lnto decent size splits in late september, then split into the size you see now last week. When split into larger splits, it was pretty juicy still.

I threw a few in last night and this morning. Some were okay with no hissing, some still hissed. I have about a month left with my scrap 2x4's, so i think i'll be okay by then.

CowboyAndy said:
Bigg_Redd said:
CowboyAndy said:
DSC00560.jpg

Well, it's def not seasoned right now. It was cut in late august from a tree that has been down about 2 years, but was really juicy when I cut a few rounds.

Split lnto decent size splits in late september, then split into the size you see now last week. When split into larger splits, it was pretty juicy still.

I threw a few in last night and this morning. Some were okay with no hissing, some still hissed. I have about a month left with my scrap 2x4's, so i think i'll be okay by then.

There's some debate about what exactly "seasoned" means. IMO, green = freshly dead/fallen/what-have-you. While it can be wet, nothing that's been dead for two years is green. Again, just my opinion.

CowboyAndy said:
smokinj said:
You have been buzy!

i got alot more work ahead of me... that stuff is only 3 12" long rounds (24") from a 60' tree!
Bring on the log splitter!!!!!!!!!

smokinj said:
CowboyAndy said:
smokinj said:
You have been buzy!

i got alot more work ahead of me... that stuff is only 3 12" long rounds (24") from a 60' tree!
Bring on the log splitter!!!!!!!!!
I was just talking with another wood burner that I work with and we are going to tackle the rest of the tree this sunday and each take half... hes bringing his4 wheeler and saw, i bring the trailer and my saw and we are going to town.

Status
Not open for further replies.