Split some crotchy Ash all morning...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

VonH

Jun 22, 2019
Wisconsin
You read that right. :)

I built this woodshed a few weeks back and just picked up a Champion 27-ton splitter to fill it up with. Super impressed with the Champion. It started on the first pull after I assembled it and tore through everything I threw at it today, mostly very old, very crotchy, very large, very stringy Ash.

I originally ordered a YardMax splitter through Logsplittersdirect.com, but they were absolutely horrible to deal with. Item was back ordered (no big deal), but once it "shipped" they "lost" it and after almost 2 months of trying to cancel my order with them I finally had to contact my credit card company to reverse the charge. They were horrible to deal with and full of excuses. Steer clear of them at all costs!

Anyway, I still have about 30 Ash trees I need to buck and split, so my next few weekends are planned for me. Glad to have a decent shed and the means to fill it. I previously had a DR Power kinetic splitter, and while I liked the speed, it couldn't handle stringy ash well.

BFE67BB1-34EF-4C0F-84DA-94066159C40D.jpeg

Last edited:
Good call on the clear poly roofing on the woodshed. Let the sun help with the drying.

Yes I like that clear roof. Direct sunshine on the wood can't hurt.
My brother and I have cut down 3 ash trees this year. This stuff is great firewood. We are about to run out of ash we have only a few more to get next year.

Reactions: VonH
Unfortunately we were hit hard by Emerald Ash. They all died. Took 40 giant trees down so far. I have about 100 medium-sized trees standing dead right now. Hopefully I can process them before nature does!

Reactions: moresnow
Unfortunately we were hit hard by Emerald Ash. They all died. Took 40 giant trees down so far. I have about 100 medium-sized trees standing dead right now. Hopefully I can process them before nature does!

Same Ash results here. Sad.

They store well split and stacked. Standing dead.... Not near as good. Get em while you can. Carefully!

I have 30 (big) trees down already that need to be bucked, split and racked. I’m going to need 12 more hours in each day and 4 more sheds!

Yes I like the standing dead ash. I cut one up in April and it read 26 percent moisture. It will be ready to burn this fall!
Very sad to see these trees slaughtered by this bug. I have 48 acres but only had about a dozen ash trees. Got a really big one, easy 5 Nissan truck loads, but it is 400 feet down the mountain, not gonna haul that wood up that steep hill.

All my ash trees are dead or dying so I have my eye on a few more for next year and then, all gone, all dead.

By the way I have seen several emerald ash borers, while hiking around the mountain. They are beautiful bugs! I have tried to get a pic several times, but they are wary, if you get within 6 feet they fly away.