Split sooner than later.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
Helped a friend split some wood with a 27ton husky last night. He said the larger rounds of sugar maple we were working on were 2yrs old. They were about 18" high by 18-24" round. After splitting them they still had a good amount of moisture in them. Loaded up my minivan. With the seats out can holds about 2/3 of a facecord. Was shot when I got home so I didn't unload it until about an hour ago. When I first went out this morning all of the windows were fogged on the inside. MOISTURE! Looked pretty cool, but if they were 2yrs old that tells me alot about splitting righ taway.

Maybe it's good that you saw that and the lesson was driven home to you. It's hard to believe that some people wait so long to split-some even wait until it's too late in the season. Split well in advance and you'll enjoy the woodburning experience that much more.

Be sure to tell your friend about your discovery and he'll be better off also....very wise lesson you were taught there my friend!

;-) Maybe you should leave the wood in there for a while and crack the windows, Just be sure to park in a sunny spot. when you don't see any moisture on the inside of the windows in the morning you'll Know your wood is dry.

I fogged the windows up in a van with no seats. But it wasn't with wood...wait scratch that. But it wasn't with splits...wait scratch...aw never mind.

"My wood is well seasoned. It is 2 year old wood...." How many times have we heard that or read the same thing?

Nordic, thanks for posting that. Hopefully others will take it to heart and for sure it is a lesson that will stick with you for the rest of your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.