Splitter didnt make it through the summer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
soupy1957 said:
One word, ............or is it really two.........

STA-BIL

-Soupy1957

I automatically add 2 oz of Stabil into my 5 gallon gas cans before I head to the gas station. Since I've started doing this, I've not had a single problem with my outdoor power equipment.

It's good stuff.

Hi guys,

My neighbor has a Stihl weed trimmer he purchased new in the fall of 2010, used it once and put away with fuel in it. When he got it out this spring it would not run so he took it to the dealer. Cost him $100 in carb rebuild, when asked why it wasn't warranted the dealer replied that Stihl has determined that any fuel related failure is on the comsumer because of the ethanol. Stihl even markets a "Storage" fuel so you can empty the tank of ethanol fuel and fill with pure fuel. Best way to take care is to put in fuel shut off valves or run dry. A lot of older carbs don't seem to have as much trouble with the ethanol, maybe their tolerance is higher, don't know. However I do know our older chainsaws start and run fine on the new gasafter sitting for a year or more, but I also have had to take my newer Stihl 017 in for carb rebuild. My 2 cents.

Cheers

My small engine mechanic showed me a $8 quart of that stuff and said that while it is expensive, all you need is a little bit in the tank once the tank is empty of the old gas. Start it up and run it a minute or so to get this stuff in the system. Then you're good to go for long term storage.
I figure one can should be enough for my saw, the splitter, power washer, and push mower.

Running a piece of equipment dry might help but residual fuel might still be in the carb. Thats why the last run on pure fuel is probably best. I have a 20yr weedwacker that sits for 2-3yrs between uses. It always starts like a new one cause its only had AvGas in it.

woodmiser said:
Kohler just came out with full closed loop EFI for some of their engines. They claim it will run up to E85.

As the industry's only closed-loop system, the KOHLER Command PRO® EFI (electronic fuel injection) engine delivers the precise fuel-air mixture to optimize power, performance and efficiency. The result is superior reliability, less downtime and fuel savings up to 25%. The closed-loop advantage also means KOHLER Command PRO® EFI engines automatically adapt to load, weather, fuel and altitude changes, resulting in improved power, performance and reliability as well as increased life span. Now available with Flex Fuel E85 technology.

Just imagine, a Kohler-powered chainsaw.......:-0

wkpoor said:
Running a piece of equipment dry might help but residual fuel might still be in the carb. Thats why the last run on pure fuel is probably best. I have a 20yr weedwacker that sits for 2-3yrs between uses. It always starts like a new one cause its only had AvGas in it.

I'm going TOTAL AVgas this winter.....already made up my mind.....may even run synthetic in it ;-)

I just fill the gas tank with water in the fall, so I don't have to wonder why it won't start in the spring.

DanCorcoran said:
I just fill the gas tank with water in the fall, so I don't have to wonder why it won't start in the spring.
lmfao.....great idea!.......it would eliminate all guesswork!!

Flatbedford said:
We have had only ethanol gas here in NY for several years now. I have personally seen no difference on any of the gasoline powered machines and vehicles that I own. This includes cars and trucks from '70 - '06 model years, an inboard boat, '68 garden tractor, chainsaws, leaf blower and lawn mower. I don't drain fuel from any of them and only use StaBil in the boat fuel.

Same here FBF. I have seen the storage issues but 10% ethanol does not create any running issues that weren't there before or introduced some other way. Spiders and mice do a lot more mischief than ethanol.

As far as storing ethanol containing fuel? You can leave fuel in the tanks (and I recommend leaving the tank full and adding your favorite stabilizer) but I'd put a shut-off in the line if it's not there already and use it if you'll be storing the unit for more than 30 days. Close the valve and once the engine starts to die, close the choke until it stalls completely. You can drain the carb too if it has a drain on the bowl or pull the bowl and toss the tiny amount of fuel that remains but that's usually unnecessary.

Ethanol can deteriorate rubber parts in older fuel systems, usually on less expensive equipment like trimmers/blowers/saws, etc. My advice on ALL handheld equipment is to dump the tanks and run 'em dry when storing them for the off season, regardless of the fuel you're using. This task isn't so cumbersome since it's usually a very small quantity of fuel to handle. I dump unused mix back into my cans to re-use down the line.

Kohler's EFI and all fuel injection systems may seem immune to the fuel degradation issues since they do not leave fuel exposed to the open air as carburetors do. It is true that they very seldom gum up in the same manner but they are not immune. Consider yourselves warned.

AvGas, ok it's designed to sit in planes for months without creating an issue and many folks like that it's a higher octane (100 vs 87) number than automotive fuel. If you don't mind the additional expense and understand that in unmodified small engines, the higher octane does nothing for you (over auto fuel), then go for it. I only have one warning for anyone considering it. 100LL (the most common blend) AvGas is not unleaded, LL stands for low lead (and that is a relative term) so consider that your lawn tractor exhausts in front of you, your trimmer directly behind you (better I guess), and your saw about 3-4 ft in front of your nose. Also keep it out of anything with fuel injection or catalytic converters. I know it stores better, it was designed that way, and fresh fuel always runs better. That doesn't mean regular, mid, or premium auto fuel is unworkable in OPE.

Where you store your fuel has the biggest effect on how long it stays good. Fuel likes to be kept cool, dry, and in the dark.

DanCorcoran's post: "I just fill the gas tank with water in the fall, so I don’t have to wonder why it won’t start in the spring." - I nominate this for the "Best Post in The Gear 2011". I think it belongs on every one of my invoices for fuel system work! :gulp: :lol: :snake:

I've got AvGas thats over 2yrs old and it works fine for whatever I'm putting it in. I perfectly realize that the only benefit is the storage issue. Over at Arboristsite and on Racesaws they have done extensive testing of fuels. We even did one at a GTG a couple yrs ago. Nothing conclusive came of it and most think racing fuels still produced better results in high compression 2 cycle engines. I do have a chainsaw with 220lbs compression so it does benefit and so does my Farmall H with over 200lb compression. Everything just likes it pure.

MasterMech said:
Flatbedford said:
We have had only ethanol gas here in NY for several years now. I have personally seen no difference on any of the gasoline powered machines and vehicles that I own. This includes cars and trucks from '70 - '06 model years, an inboard boat, '68 garden tractor, chainsaws, leaf blower and lawn mower. I don't drain fuel from any of them and only use StaBil in the boat fuel.

Same here FBF. I have seen the storage issues but 10% ethanol does not create any running issues that weren't there before or introduced some other way. Spiders and mice do a lot more mischief than ethanol.

I haven't had any storage issues either. The '70 Ford sometimes sits for 3 or 4 weeks and only gets fresh gas every 3 or 4 months and it always runs ok. My saws have sat for months and run with no issues. Same with the leaf blower.

I must be doing it all wrong. I simply shut off the equipment, and walk away. Sometimes for months. I don't have anything on the shelf or in the shed that won't start right now. I can't tell you the last time I had a small carb tore down for gumming/plugging. I guess I'm gonna have to start using Dan's suggestion so that I can "feel the pain".

Flatbedford said:

+1 . . . except that I use StarTron . . . and I really believe the ethanol issue is more of a concern with two-strokers and folks with older equipment. So far, no problems after a few years of ethanol use in the plain Jane cheap gas I buy locally for my sled, chainsaw, splitter, mower, vehicles, ATV, etc.

I solved the whole issue by switching to AV gas in all my yard equipment. I haven't had a false start or a clogged carb since. The comment about being careful not to burn it in anything with a cat is correct. The lead will clog the catalytic surfaces.

iskiatomic said:
#1 Stay awat from the ethanol. # 2 Run super in it. # 3 Seafoam.

KC
Just a thought, once many years ago they tried Methanol in fuel, worked, BUT... be sure and do NOT use Methanol in an Aluminum engine, highly coorosive. Big bold warning in my Z06 owners manual about that also. This crap they sell today eats up some plastic type hoses. Ask around, there are 2 stations within 10 miles or so that still sell, Pure gasoline without the alcohol, works great, especially with a little sta-bil. I with others, run em dry for storage of over 2 months having an extra squirt of stabil in the last bit going thru seems to help. East Tn

Could it be that ethenol is more prevelant in the corn belt than on the East coast. I have a push mower I seldom use. And when I used pump gas it wouldn't start in the spring. It was always fish eggs in the bowl and my FILs generator had the exact same problem when it wouldn't start. Clean out the carb and they fire right off. Has to be a different blend in different areas of the country.

It's everywhere here. I haven't seen a pump in NY, NJ, CT, PA, or the rest of New England that doesn't say "!0% Ethanol" on it unless it was E85.

MasterMech said:
It's everywhere here. I haven't seen a pump in NY, NJ, CT, PA, or the rest of New England that doesn't say "!0% Ethanol" on it unless it was E85.

Same here...I've been on the look out when I fill up during business trips in my region.

Every station in PA, MD, DC and VA that I've been to have some percentage of Ethanol - most being 10%.

MasterMech said:

Ditto for Maine . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.