Splitter Hydraulic Hose Question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NTS

Nov 6, 2015
Northern Nevada
The cylinder that I will be using for the ram on my log splitter build is a 4 x 24 x 2. The ports on the cylinder are 1/2 npt. Is there any reason to use hoses larger than 1/2 inch in the hydraulic circuit. Except for the suction hose.

Other hydraulics I have collected.
LS 3000-2 all ports 3/4 npt
RD5000xxx 2 spool work ports 1/2npt in/out 3/4 npt power beyond 3/4 npt
wedge cylinder 1-1/2x8x1 ports sae 6
lift cylinder 2-1/2x8x1 ports 3/8 npt

No pump yet, should I go with 13 or 16 gpm.
Will be buying hoses from surplus center.

Last edited:
Following.
Gonna build one too.
After looking at the units at Tractor and online they look
quite simple mechanically.

Ok, nevermind. Got one !!
Ain't facebook messaging and church friends cool?
Dude said I can just "store" his here since I'm giving him all the wood he needs, and
only used it once or twice a year before our deal. Win/win.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lone_Gun
I think all it would give you is more volume of oil. Don't think it would hurt pressures and it may even let the oil run cooler. Get a big pump if your running more than 1 cylinder and a good size tank. The cooler you can run the oil the less break down it has. It will help the whole thing over all.

No reason. I had (has been upgraded) a 3.5" cylinder with 3/8inch ports on a 16 gpm pump with no noticeable downside on to your other question ... if you have enough motor go with the 16 gpm pump. That makes a nice unit matched with a 4" ram.

Thanks, I will go with the 1/2 inch hoses.
I have plenty of pictures of the build. I should start a thread.

Here is what I have so far.

416-Export Firewood-Log Splitter Build-413.jpg

107-Export Firewood-Log Splitter Build-106.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Lone_Gun and Jags
Status
Not open for further replies.