Splitter ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
Anyone know what this splitter is? Seller says it had an 11 hp Tecumseh on it. That possible?

Attachments

• castota splitter.jpg
    castota splitter.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 2,086
that really looks alot like the montgomery ward that my father has at his house. his has a 5 hp briggs & stratton.

5 hp is what I was thinking. It looks like a 3.5" cylinder? 11hp didn't make sense.

Looks like my Didier (aka Craftsman, Wards, etc.).

P1010079.jpg

(picture is from when it under a slight repair)

Shari

I think somewhere on that monygomery ward it says that it is an 8 ton splitter, I have never measured the cylinder but 3.5 inch seems about right to me. the splitter that he has has got to be about 60 yrs old and it still runs like a top. i am 40 and have been using it about 30 yrs at least and for the last 10 or it has been pulling double duty for he and I. the only item that has failed has been the spring that kicks the handle free upon the stroke being completed on the return. I can only speak for when i have used it but I have never changed the hydraulic oil or done any maintenance untill this year i have run some sea foam thru it after reading some posts on here about it and it seems to run fine.

It looks like a pretty generic splitter, could be any number of different brands, or a home built... As such it could have had almost any size engine and pump on it, so the seller could be right about it having had an 11hp Tec. However there is no rule says that is what needs to go back on it...

Do you have the hydraulic pump for the unit? If so, try to identify it by looking for brands and part numbers, etc... This will tell you what size engine you need.

If you don't have the pump, you will need a pump and engine - While any appropriately matched pump and engine will work, the larger you go on the pump, the faster your cycle times will be (and the more you will pay) To get a fairly typical ~15 second cycle, get an 11gpm pump on a 4" cylinder, or a 16gpm pump on a 5", etc. Match the engine to the pump, 1/2 hp for each gpm or a little bigger, assuming a two stage pump.

Gooserider

I have 2, 5 and 6 hp electric motors. Given that the 2 hp more than replaced a 5hp gas, I am guessing that the 5 and 6 will run 22 gpm 2 stage pumps.

All of my wood is scrounged and gets dumped within 50 feet of my garage/woodsheds. I have 220 in a subpanel in the garage. It works very well and has a lot of advantages if you can get over the cord.

Status
Not open for further replies.