Splitter opinions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SpaceBus

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2018
Downeast Maine
My local Stihl/Husqvarna/Kioti dealer also carries Brave splitters. I'm looking at the 37 Ton "pro", and they will probably cut me a deal since I'm about to pick up a tractor from them. On the other hand I'm looking at the DHT 35T with four way splitting wedge, and after including shipping the two units are similar in price.

The Brave has a Honda engine, which I like, and I suspect it won't be as loud as the Kohler on the DHT. It really comes down to the four way wedge; more specifically is it worth losing the Honda engine?

I think I just answered my own question by looking on the Brave website. It seems a four way splitter is available for select models with a version for 2018+ models in the works. The splitters at my local joint might be 2017 or older which would make it even easier.

I don’t know if I’m sold on the four way splitter option. I like to split all different sizes so I have a variety of firewood to choose from when it comes time to reload. I guess my theory behind this is each reload can be slightly different from the last. If it’s been awhile since my last load and all I have left in the stove is a few coals than I use small stuff to get the flue warmed up again. If it’s an over night load I look for big square pieces so I can pack the stove as tight as possible. If I’m around all day I run a load of uglies and shorties. The kohler command series are good motors, however, I am a Honda guy and would have a hard time passing that up. Just make sure the Honda is a GX model.

Reactions: SpaceBus
The 37 and 35 ton splitters are just to big. I have a 22 ton and a 27 ton. The 22 ton goes through anything, even rounds that are 36 to 40 inches. I use the 22 ton as my primary splitter. I have the 4 way on the 27 ton splitter. The kohler moters are great, and havent had any problems. Dont take it the wrong way.. but having the biggest splitter on the block doesn't mean your going to split faster. Your not going to use that power on a regular basis. Im using the smaller splitter because its faster than the larger splitters.

The 37 and 35 ton splitters are just to big. I have a 22 ton and a 27 ton. The 22 ton goes through anything, even rounds that are 36 to 40 inches. I use the 22 ton as my primary splitter. I have the 4 way on the 27 ton splitter. The kohler moters are great, and havent had any problems. Dont take it the wrong way.. but having the biggest splitter on the block doesn't mean your going to split faster. Your not going to use that power on a regular basis. Im using the smaller splitter because its faster than the larger splitters.

I'm not in a hurry, but I also just want to have one splitter. I have some pretty knotted, twisted grain, stringy fir and spruce on my property. Stuff that put up a fight to multiple splitting wedges and an 8 lb maul. I'm tired of fighting and I don't want to spit by hand anymore. I'm disabled and I about worked myself to death trying to split two cords by hand. The long cycle times, 14 seconds in this case, will force me to slow down and take a break.

I do appreciate your advice. I'm really just interested in something with a Honda 270 GX that I can get locally. My property doesn't facilitate truck delivery, and the nearest tractor supply is a real hike and offers no product support after your purchase. The local logging company is five minutes away and will fix stuff if/when it breaks under warranty. They will also source parts after the warranty expires and I start fixing it myself if/when it breaks.

Reactions: Ashful
I have a 22 ton splitter with a Honda engine
It splits everything I throw at it including American elm
which is just about impossible to split with a axe or maul

I have a 22 ton splitter with a Honda engine
It splits everything I throw at it including American elm
which is just about impossible to split with a axe or maul

They have several different models. I didn't look very closely last time, but I know Brave makes a 24/26 ton splitter. Unfortunately I think they use the GC engine, but the GX might be an option. I'm keen on the GX.

The Honda gx models are the chit. A 20 ton should handle all that soft evergreen with no problem. I have a 20 ton with a Honda gx and it handles all the oak, elm, and maple I throw at it.

Reactions: SpaceBus
The Honda gx models are the chit. A 20 ton should handle all that soft evergreen with no problem. I have a 20 ton with a Honda gx and it handles all the oak, elm, and maple I throw at it.

I have nothing against Kohler, but Honda makes some of the best engines.

Reactions: RandyBoBandy
I have nothing against Kohler, but Honda makes some of the best engines.
I’m not doging on kohler either. The command series is sold but I’m a Honda guy. My dirt scooters are red. If I was to ever ride something else it would probably be a ktm or husky.

I’m not doging on kohler either. The command series is sold but I’m a Honda guy. My dirt scooters are red. If I was to ever ride something else it would probably be a ktm or husky.
I used to ride on the street and I love Honda and Yamaha. They make the best motorcycles. I've only owned one ATV, and ir was a Polaris Outlaw 500, but I don't live in a place for sport quads anymore. Been thinking about getting a Honda Pioneer 500 or a small Utility ATV in a few years.

IMHO, no need for a heavy duty splitter for eastern softwood. Unless its old growth (highly doubtful) softwood just does not have the density which requires higher pressure. A two stage with good cycle time is the way to go. The bigger the physical size the more it weighs and the more of PITA to move around. It does make a lot of sense to go with a model with full size wheels to the ram is at a reasonable height so it does not become a back breaker. As for engines, few engines from a known company are going to wear out prematurely, they usually are slowly murdered by owner abuse. Put an hour meter on it and change the oil with synthetic. If it sits for several months, change the oil. Keep the air filter clean. Always run it out of gas unless you plan to be using it in the next week and never let it sit full of gas for extended periods. Chinese clone replacements are cheap and most folks are getting reasonable life from them especially if they do maintenance.

Last edited:
IMHO, no need for a heavy duty splitter for eastern softwood. Unless its old growth (highly doubtful) softwood just does not have the density which requires higher pressure. A two stage with good cycle time is the way to go. The bigger the physical size the more it weighs and the more of PITA to move around. It does make a lot of sense to go with a model with full size wheels to the ram is at a reasonable height so it does not become a back breaker. As for engines, few engines wear from a known company are going to wear out prematurely, they usually are slowly murdered by owner abuse. Put an hour meter on it and change the oil with synthetic. If it sits for several months, change the oil. Keep the air filter clean. Always run it out of gas unless you plan to be using it in the next week and never let it sit full of gas for extended periods. Chinese clone replacements are cheap and most folks are getting reasonable life from them especially if they do not do maintenance.

I would just hate to come across something I can't split. The weight and maneuverability are important things to bring up. Once I get an ATV of some sort, I'll drag it to the trees. The biggest advantage aside from longevity on the Honda is the sound levels. I do appreciate a quiet machine.

I would just hate to come across something I can't split. The weight and maneuverability are important things to bring up. Once I get an ATV of some sort, I'll drag it to the trees. The biggest advantage aside from longevity on the Honda is the sound levels. I do appreciate a quiet machine.

Just as a heads up.. theres really nothing that your going to come across that you cant split with a 22 tone splitter.. if it makes you feel better than go to a 24 ton. The weight is a big difference which is what i was trying to say in my first post. Event though your going to have an ATV or somthing pulling it. You still need to be able to lift it move it around to hook it up, and a 30+ton is really heavy. If you sit down and think about the usage of the splitter they dont run verry long.. your only going to run it for about 20 hours per year. The math is this. Each cord is roughly 3 or 4 hours of splitting time. Most people burn 4 cords roughly some more. So take the longest time x s 4 cords and your at 16 hours plus if your going to be splitting your owne kindling.. your at about 20 hours.. so in 10 years you barley going to have 200 hours on your splitter.
Man makes earplugs and they sell them cheap.. your just buying wayyyyy to much splitter... and spending wayyyyy more money than you need to.. if your dead set on spending that kind of money than go ahead. Or you can look at it this way. I spent just just about 950 for a new 22 ton splitter.. your going to spend 2400 I think that was the price of the 37 ton splitter and really theres no difference in what your going to be able to split and what I'm able to split.
Do your self a favor.. try and hook up that 37 ton splitter by your self to somthing before you wright the check.. once you try to move it alone... you'll come to your senses

Just as a heads up.. theres really nothing that your going to come across that you cant split with a 22 tone splitter.. if it makes you feel better than go to a 24 ton. The weight is a big difference which is what i was trying to say in my first post. Event though your going to have an ATV or somthing pulling it. You still need to be able to lift it move it around to hook it up, and a 30+ton is really heavy. If you sit down and think about the usage of the splitter they dont run verry long.. your only going to run it for about 20 hours per year. The math is this. Each cord is roughly 3 or 4 hours of splitting time. Most people burn 4 cords roughly some more. So take the longest time x s 4 cords and your at 16 hours plus if your going to be splitting your owne kindling.. your at about 20 hours.. so in 10 years you barley going to have 200 hours on your splitter.
Man makes earplugs and they sell them cheap.. your just buying wayyyyy to much splitter... and spending wayyyyy more money than you need to.. if your dead set on spending that kind of money than go ahead. Or you can look at it this way. I spent just just about 950 for a new 22 ton splitter.. your going to spend 2400 I think that was the price of the 37 ton splitter and really theres no difference in what your going to be able to split and what I'm able to split.
Do your self a favor.. try and hook up that 37 ton splitter by your self to somthing before you wright the check.. once you try to move it alone... you'll come to your senses

You make a strong point. I'll definitely look at some smaller machines when I go back to the dealer.

Reactions: jaoneill
My local Stihl/Husqvarna/Kioti dealer also carries Brave splitters. I'm looking at the 37 Ton "pro", and they will probably cut me a deal since I'm about to pick up a tractor from them. On the other hand I'm looking at the DHT 35T with four way splitting wedge, and after including shipping the two units are similar in price.

The Brave has a Honda engine, which I like, and I suspect it won't be as loud as the Kohler on the DHT. It really comes down to the four way wedge; more specifically is it worth losing the Honda engine?
We have a an older MTD 5 hp 20 H/V splitter which I use more often then the newer 24 ton American CLS H/V but only because the CLS is so damn heavy but when I need something that will split some gnarly big chit, I grab the CLS. The CLS has a bigger splitting wedge on it compared to the MTD.

The picture is from our local dealer off the American CLS website.
http://www.americancls.com/products/horizontal-vertical/

HV-Display.jpg

I have a DHT 22 ton splitter, with the Loncin engine. The engine us a GX clone, and is actually not that loud. I look for things like a choke before brand names, especially since I can get a predator replacement engine from harbor freight (GX clone) for short money.
My last splitter was a predator 20 ton, the motor was excellent, starting easy and running strong

I have a DHT 22 ton splitter, with the Loncin engine. The engine us a GX clone, and is actually not that loud. I look for things like a choke before brand names, especially since I can get a predator replacement engine from harbor freight (GX clone) for short money.
My last splitter was a predator 20 ton, the motor was excellent, starting easy and running strong

Great splitter..yo..the wedge design on the dht is on point and makes a huge difference

They have several different models. I didn't look very closely last time, but I know Brave makes a 24/26 ton splitter. Unfortunately I think they use the GC engine, but the GX might be an option. I'm keen on the GX.

Since you are keen on a GX, and since I have this splitter and IMO it is designed way better than most any box store splitter I have seen, I will throw this one out:

https://www.wallensteinequipment.com/ca/en/model/wx540

Mine is green & labelled Surge Master, and has a GC engine rather than a GX. Not sure what is available south of the border. But I would get another one, hands down.

I'm not in a hurry, but I also just want to have one splitter. I have some pretty knotted, twisted grain, stringy fir and spruce on my property.
That knotted, twisty grain stuff won’t split straight, anyway. Opinions may vary, but I feel I’m better off noodling odd rounds like that, and sticking with a faster and lighter splitter for the other 98% of what I encounter.

BTW, I’ve never had a round that stopped my 22-ton splitter.

That knotted, twisty grain stuff won’t split straight, anyway. Opinions may vary, but I feel I’m better off noodling odd rounds like that, and sticking with a faster and lighter splitter for the other 98% of what I encounter.

BTW, I’ve never had a round that stopped my 22-ton splitter.

Maybe this stuff that shrugs off the 8 lb Fiskars maul is just from the edges of the forest. I have a feeling the stuff further than a few feet in will probably be a lot straighter and less knotty. Maybe I should a small sub 20 ton splitter and get a big 37 ton later. Usually having multiple tools is better. I'm finding my Husky 460 Chainsaw to be a poor everything saw and plan on buying a tiny Stihl 150 C (or maybe even the top handle version) for limbing and use the 460 for felling and bucking.

Maybe this stuff that shrugs off the 8 lb Fiskars maul is just from the edges of the forest. I have a feeling the stuff further than a few feet in will probably be a lot straighter and less knotty. Maybe I should a small sub 20 ton splitter and get a big 37 ton later. Usually having multiple tools is better. I'm finding my Husky 460 Chainsaw to be a poor everything saw and plan on buying a tiny Stihl 150 C (or maybe even the top handle version) for limbing and use the 460 for felling and bucking.

I used a “20 ton” machine with a 3.5” cylinder and 16 GPM pump for two years, and it was fast as all get-out, but it did get stuck a few times each day. The 4” cylinder seems to be the threshold for our PA hardwoods, it never gets stuck.

I’d just forget the 37 ton machine, it’s a total waste, IMO. If a round is so gnarly it requires 37 tons to push a wedge thru it, I wouldn’t want that mess in my stacks, anyway.

I used a “20 ton” machine with a 3.5” cylinder and 16 GPM pump for two years, and it was fast as all get-out, but it did get stuck a few times each day. The 4” cylinder seems to be the threshold for our PA hardwoods, it never gets stuck.

I’d just forget the 37 ton machine, it’s a total waste, IMO. If a round is so gnarly it requires 37 tons to push a wedge thru it, I wouldn’t want that mess in my stacks, anyway.

You make a good point, and it keeps money in my pocket for more toys down the road. I think I've sold the wife on a Ural Patrol, since I sold my street fighter Yamaha to come to Maine. I'm also much less likely to die on it, and a Ural could pull a light splitter.

I don't know what the physics works out to be but I'll estimate that an 8 pound maul has about 250 pounds of splitting force. The 20 ton is just a few orders of magnitude higher. I don't think you'll have to worry about it. And you're mostly splitting spruce and fur, in all honestly that can probably be done with an electric splitter. 35+ ton is a waste for most everyone and definitely for you.

I don't know what the physics works out to be but I'll estimate that an 8 pound maul has about 250 pounds of splitting force. The 20 ton is just a few orders of magnitude higher. I don't think you'll have to worry about it. And you're mostly splitting spruce and fur, in all honestly that can probably be done with an electric splitter. 35+ ton is a waste for most everyone and definitely for you.

I would have to run the genny to use an electric, so it wouldn't make sense. Honestly after reading all the input on the forum I think the lightest vertical/horizontal splitter with at least a 3.5" piston would be the best option.