splitter rebuild questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bugboy

Mar 5, 2007
north-central Kansas
I'm in the process of re-doing a homebuilt splitter. 5hp B&S;, 11gpm 2 stage, etc. My question is the supply line - can I use some galvanized pipe (since it is not under pressure) or what kind of supply line would work best?

I'm in a rural area and there isn't a lot of options at the local farm stores.

You should be able to use a oil resistant rubber return line. You can have those made to your specs. If you don't have a TSC, try a tractor dealer/repair shop. Farmers go through lots of em'.

or

Do as you say and use rigid but it's easier to stuff the fittings you need into a hose and crimp them. Actually...now that I think of it...on my speeco they are pipe thread x hose barb fittings with worm drive hose clamps. If you can't find the fittings you need try McMaster Carr. They have the hose too. They deliver in a day if you get your order in before 3:00.

rubber hose for sure! vibration isolation, misalignment, loads on pump and tank, etc.

Suction hose is differeent then regular pressure side hose. It has a spiral wire inside the rubber to keep from collpasing on vaccuum situations.

The cheap splitters come with clear vinyl and it heats, gets stiff, then collapses under startup. I've changed several.

Ask at dump truck/snowplow/garbage truck place, even some NAPA stores have regular hydr suction hose

k

kevin j said:
rubber hose for sure! vibration isolation, misalignment, loads on pump and tank, etc.

Suction hose is differeent then regular pressure side hose. It has a spiral wire inside the rubber to keep from collpasing on vaccuum situations.

Yeah, forgot that. Has to be wire reinforced. If you can't get it local McMaster Carr will have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.