Splittin on a Friday

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
With the day off, decided it was time to dig into my recent Cherry/Locust score. After picking up a new 6 lb. maul, I went out to the "splitting zone" and let er rip. For those who haven't seen Cherry sap, it's visible in second pic. This is my first time splitting Cherry rounds this size.
Cherry Round.jpgCherry Sap.jpg New Maul with Splits.jpgCherry & Locust Splits.jpg

Looks like you had you some fun. :) My two main hand-splitters are the 6-pound maul and the 4# wedge head ax...
Love splittin' that Cherry.
Was that some dead standing? Hey, you're going to have to re-stack that off the ground! At least you won't have to bend over to pick it up when you move it... ==c

Nice use of a "day off".
Good job. NIce pile of cherry.
Really like the stacks in the background ;)

PS: the maul is upside down for pictures. (Quads set the standard, head up for pics) LOL :)

Reactions: ScotO
Lookin good stax. I love burning that cherry, smells great on a cold day.

That is big for cherry. At least bigger than the cherry we have here.

Nice! Have a 16" flowering cherry in the yard, solid 1/2 cord worth. Wife gets riled up when I say that, though...;)

Reactions: Senatormofo
Love burning cherry, I burned a lot last year. And it's pretty easy to split

The stack in the background (right side) of the last pic reminds me of those bottles filled with layers of colored sand.
Nice workout!

if i had that much cherry wood, id use it in my smoker for whole chicken or pork shoulders:cool:

Reactions: pen
if i had that much cherry wood, id use it in my smoker for whole chicken or pork shoulders:cool:

Cherry is my go to smoke for kielbasa as well. Love the color it gives to the meat, and not as heavy a smoke flavor as hickory or apple.

pen

Pen, have you used pear wood? I just used it in combo with cherry to smoke 2 whole chickens. Turned out great! I know its off-topic sorry.

Pen, have you used pear wood? I just used it in combo with cherry to smoke 2 whole chickens. Turned out great! I know its off-topic sorry.

I only know of one old pear tree in the area I live in, and never tried (nor thought actually) to go to it and grab some wood for smoking. Think I'll give it a go now that you brought it up. I have a buddy who cooks some good grub over nothing but beech; and that certainly wouldn't have been my first guess either.

To the original poster, that a nice looking wood lot.

pen

Very small amounts of cherry and apple used for domestic turkey and salmon.

Great job yeah too cheap to buy a wood splitter or should I say too expensive lol....Yeah all my wood is done by hand also, thats c/s/and s! But I'm thankful for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.