Splitting auger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ben94122

Burning Hunk
Sep 4, 2017
California

This is how I process most of my wood: cut into 8' or 16' lengths, split once with the auger, then lift onto other logs or the pile of splits and buck to 18", then hand-split the rest of the way with 8# Isocore or x27. The video is foreshortened, but it's a 24" diameter x 16' ponderosa pine log.

I measure bucking length with a ziptie on the handle of my saw, a suggestion from hearth.com:
1588111953109.png

Last edited:
I like the use of the ziptie for cut length. I was using a pvc pipe and paint as I walked the trunk. Now I use my 20 inch bar minus about an inch.
The ziptie will require less muscle. I need to find a longer tie. Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: ben94122
now you got me thinking, seems all the wood I get is big stuff now, like 24" - 32" stuff, pto post hole digger with a adam splitter seems logical, do you notice a performance difference when using the cone splitter on hardwood vs soft wood species? I predominantly have hard woods like oak, ash and maple here.

As yes, the death cones. Many names over the years. As long as there some sort of over ride system if it becomes jammed- otherwise you could end up with a big chunk of something dancing around. We all know about knots , crotches and twisted stringy wood resisting attempts to part it asunder. Not to mention the occasional flying split from a mechanical or hydraulic splitter. ( got the t-shirt on that puppy)

Reactions: VirginiaIron
..... Not to mention the occasional flying split from a mechanical or hydraulic splitter. ( got the t-shirt on that puppy)
I have had popping splits before but this weekend seemed crazy. I've been splitting post oak (?) and after a few unpredictably violent splits, I dare not touch the round while splitting. One 9" round actually ricocheted in two separate directions hen it popped, and in many areas the round was stringy. The limb/trunk areas the wedge was cutting the grain rather than splitting. A lot of work.

I have had popping splits before but this weekend seemed crazy.
LOL, my last load of logs I was splitting 2 weeks ago got me good, split popped and hit me in the family jewels, wish I had camera's on my house, I could have made money off of that one.
But I see no real danger with using a pto powered post hole auger with a splitting cone, as long as the user is on the tractor and can easily access the clutch / pto on / off controls. Plus all the new post hole augers come with sheer bolts on the pto shaft incase theres ever a real solid hit, I'm doing my research and think getting a everything attachments cat 1 auger with a splitting cone might be the way to go with all the larger diameter lengths I seem to be getting, to half them or quarter them in length form will make processing into splits much easier on my body. I can still easily pick up 20" and under rounds all day long, its the bigger stuff i worry about, usually end up halving them with either the splitter in vertical, then wrestling the round 180deg to clean cut the other side, or break out the wedges and sledge hammer which isnt much fun anymore.

This is how I process most of my wood: cut into 8' or 16' lengths, split once with the auger, then lift onto other logs or the pile of splits and buck to 18", then hand-split the rest of the way with 8# Isocore or x27. The video is foreshortened, but it's a 24" diameter x 16' ponderosa pine log.

I measure bucking length with a ziptie on the handle of my saw, a suggestion from hearth.com:
View attachment 259783

I love the zip tie! I need to do this.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
do you notice a performance difference when using the cone splitter on hardwood vs soft wood species?

The only hardwood I have is black oak, and I haven't split any 16' length large diameter logs with the auger. I have split 8' lengths up to about 2' diameter, and it has worked even better than the ponderosa pine and doug fir: the problem I run into with softer wood and smaller logs is that the log splinters around the splitting auger rather than propagating the split along the length of the log. With oak the auger bites into the log better and the log holds the auger, splitting the entire length of the log.

As far as safety: the videos where the auger is mounted to a spinning car wheel and the operator holds the round are terrifying and not the way I use this tool. The splitting auger turns relatively slowly and the entire process is very controlled. Also, I'm safe up in my cab. Splitting log-length wood means that the wood easily stays put on the ground.

Might be harder to see and control with a tractor PTO auger behind the operator?

LOL, my last load of logs I was splitting 2 weeks ago got me good, split popped and hit me in the family jewels, wish I had camera's on my house, I could have made money off of that one.
But I see no real danger with using a pto powered post hole auger with a splitting cone, as long as the user is on the tractor and can easily access the clutch / pto on / off controls. Plus all the new post hole augers come with sheer bolts on the pto shaft incase theres ever a real solid hit, I'm doing my research and think getting a everything attachments cat 1 auger with a splitting cone might be the way to go with all the larger diameter lengths I seem to be getting, to half them or quarter them in length form will make processing into splits much easier on my body. I can still easily pick up 20" and under rounds all day long, its the bigger stuff i worry about, usually end up halving them with either the splitter in vertical, then wrestling the round 180deg to clean cut the other side, or break out the wedges and sledge hammer which isnt much fun anymore.
I *really* want a PHD for fences and other things, but we have so many stones and boulders here. The idea to break logs with it hadn't occurred to me. For our terrain I don't think I could get away with a PTO unit and hydraulic will probably be a requirement for me.

I love the zip tie! I need to do this.
I like the ziptie as well.

That auger is different than a post hole auger. This auger is only turning about 20rpms and "I think" (sometimes) a 3pth auger is more than 60rpm, maybe 80.