Splitting Elm For First Time...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Sure I will get some soon , I am going out to do some thinning in a stand of Rock Maple I have. I take the camera with me so maybe on the way back I will stop at the pole barn and take some pictures for you. I have to thin this area as part of my tree growth plan so every chance I get I work in there. I have to keep at it as when the snow gets very deep I becomes hard to get around in there.

They say it’s best to split frozen, but I’ve never had the opportunity to split frozen elm.
They are right.The Elm splits best when it's cold out.I'll doing a cord of seasoned elm soon when it's cold enough then I'll move to the two cords of unseasoned elm.Wish me luck.

I will attempt to show some splitter pictures wish me luck.
IMG_1204.JPG
IMG_1205.JPG
IMG_1206.JPG
IMG_1207.JPG
IMG_1208.JPG
IMG_1209.JPG
IMG_1210.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
OP,

If you are going to noodle rounds, lay them on the ground and cut through the bark and the saw will pull long chips, i.e. Noodles. Cutting across the top like you are is making dust since you are cutting perpendicular to the grain. Saw will cut much faster.