Splitting maul repairs, epoxy filler??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

My Oslo heats my home

Minister of Fire
Sep 20, 2010
South Shore, MA
My splitting maul has an epoxy filler around where the handle fits into the head. In time, through the weather and vibration, the epoxy has become loose and the combination of the two is now unsafe. Has anyone had this simular situation happen and found a repair type epoxy that was used to fill this void to repair the tool??
thanks...

Had that happen to me a couple of times on different mauls. Try to pick out any loose epoxy and then make sure the handle is as far on the head as it'll go. Than fill the end with J B weld. It is a two part super strong epoxy that you can buy at any good auto parts store. You must place the tool so that the handle is down and the head up. Fill the hole with the mixed J B Weld. If you don't stand it up all the new epoxy well run out. Two hours it'll be almost hard to the touch but it'll take 24 hours to really set up. The head is on now forever because J B Weld is atom bomb proof. David

If I were you I would just put a new handle on that sucker. A well fitted handle is about as safe as you can get.

I've repaired mine 3 or 4 times now with whatever epoxy I had on hand (cheap stuff) and it typically only lasts a year or less before the new epoxy breaks or the little fiberglass stub slips out. I think I'll have to try JB Weld next time.

Hickory handle and a gallon of Kerosine. Install head on handle, add wedge, put head and handle in bucket with kerosine let soak for couple days. When you remove it will be tight as all ..... The kerosine gets soaked up by the handle and the fibers wood expand making a perfect fit,additional benefit is the handle becomes more resilient in that area. Beats the ...... out of this new fangled stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.