Splitting pictures

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
rdust wanted some pictures on the other thread so here they are. I work slow so it will take a while to get it all done.

Split-2010a.gif

I'm sure our fire fighting friend will take notice that the splitter is set up correctly.

Split-2010b.gif

Split-2010c.gif

And looking away from the splitting pile:

Spring-2010.gif

Nice pics Dennis!

Looks like your moving pretty well...

Looks like you're moving along just fine! Now when I see pictures I know what I'm looking at. :)

Looking good Dennis, no need to rush when your a few years or more ahead.

Great pics. Nice stool.
Pictures say it better,
Good set up

Looks like a nice quite place. Well, except for all your machinery to break the silence. ;-P

Keeps Smiling!
:)

Savage must feel good to get out and make production after being cooped up all year...you're off to a good start there.

Hey, rdust was right there by that pile a week or so ago so he should recognize it. Maybe I should have had him do some splitting while he was here. lol

Carbon, yes the peacefulness is great. A balm for the soul.

Savage, I try to not get cooped up if at all possible. It was weird not cutting any wood in the month of February but next year will be better...if I can get rid of some more wood by then. But I will try to stay well ahead on the wood supply. Perhaps not as much though in the future simply because of how far along the ash is. With all the ash dieing some are looking pretty dry inside so I'm not sure what they will be like in a couple more years. I try to cut the worst looking ones first.

Backwoods Savage said:
Hey, rdust was right there by that pile a week or so ago so he should recognize it. Maybe I should have had him do some splitting while he was here. lol

Carbon, yes the peacefulness is great. A balm for the soul.

Savage, I try to not get cooped up if at all possible. It was weird not cutting any wood in the month of February but next year will be better...if I can get rid of some more wood by then. But I will try to stay well ahead on the wood supply. Perhaps not as much though in the future simply because of how far along the ash is. With all the ash dieing some are looking pretty dry inside so I'm not sure what they will be like in a couple more years. I try to cut the worst looking ones first.

what kind of splitter is that ?
thts a 20 ton?!?!? real beefy!

It is an MTD 20 ton. Somewhere around 20 years old or older. Does a good job no matter what I throw at it.

Backwoods Savage said:
It is an MTD 20 ton. Somewhere around 20 years old or older. Does a good job no matter what I throw at it.

thats the key... an older mtd those things kicked arse!!!! look at tht compared to todays version, it seems beefier not tht todays dont do the job, but wow!

Backwoods Savage said:

Sav nice pictures and good work, I found out that the MTD we bought is a 1996.

Zap

looks like a nice setup you got there. I would love to have that much room. I still don't know how you guys like splitting vertically. The only time mine goes vertical is when the round is to heavy for me to pick up. At 22 my knees are already bad so maybe that has something to do with it. I can stand all day long but sitting or being on my knees for 10 mins kills me.

Iceman, what I don't like about the splitters they sell now is too small of a butt plate and no control on the throttle. I actually would prefer a larger butt plate than is even on ours but ours is still bigger than todays. On the throttle, I rarely run mine full open; more like about 3/4.

Zap, I'm sure you are loving that splitter.

Archer. The room is nice. Most of our place is wooded (on yellow sand) and we have a little over 1/4 mile of creek on our southern border. Where the splitting pile is now is one of the prime deer hunting spots in the fall. In the picture taken looking away from the splitting pile there is a food plot back in there. We also have 2 vegetable gardens along with some fruit. We also have lots of pines; mostly white and scotch. We do have a good place for wildlife or it can be used for wild life if needed. lol The only thing I don't like is the turkeys and also at times we get too much road noise from the highway which is 3/4 mile south of us. But we love the place.

The knees can certainly be a problem. One can only experiment with sitting at different heights. I have to sometimes experiment with heights while sitting too but because of the back and not the knees. As for me, if I had to split vertical I very well might attempt to go back to splitting by hand. I just don't like it at all and can see no good reason to lift every piece up to the splitter. I'd rather use gravity to get the wood on the ground and then roll it onto the splitter. Plus, I have no need for a table to hold the wood; I use Mother Earth.

Maybe it is time you get those knees fixed?

Nice pile.
What kind of wood is it?
Looks like post oak in the pics, but I dont think ya'll have that up there.

gandrimp said:
Nice pile.
What kind of wood is it?
Looks like post oak in the pics, but I dont think ya'll have that up there.

There is just a little bit of soft maple but you can not see that in the pictures. There is also a little bit of elm and you can see just a little of that in the 3rd picture on the outside row on the left. It is the wood with part of the bark off. All the rest (probably 95%) is white ash.

You are right: no post oak here. Where we live it is white, red and pin oaks.

Dennis - looks like you need to get that pivot pin fixed or something. The dang thing tipped upright.

Nice pics Dennis . . . and now I see what I'm doing wrong while splitting vertically . . . I don't have a comfy stool like you. ;) :)

Jags, that pin works nicely!

Jake, a comfortable seat is always good. If it is cold, the hot seat works excellently. By the time I finish the air will be warming up a bit but it still is nice to sit on.

Archer. The room is nice. Most of our place is wooded (on yellow sand) and we have a little over 1/4 mile of creek on our southern border. Where the splitting pile is now is one of the prime deer hunting spots in the fall. In the picture taken looking away from the splitting pile there is a food plot back in there. We also have 2 vegetable gardens along with some fruit. We also have lots of pines; mostly white and scotch. We do have a good place for wildlife or it can be used for wild life if needed. lol The only thing I don't like is the turkeys and also at times we get too much road noise from the highway which is 3/4 mile south of us. But we love the place.

The knees can certainly be a problem. One can only experiment with sitting at different heights. I have to sometimes experiment with heights while sitting too but because of the back and not the knees. As for me, if I had to split vertical I very well might attempt to go back to splitting by hand. I just don't like it at all and can see no good reason to lift every piece up to the splitter. I'd rather use gravity to get the wood on the ground and then roll it onto the splitter. Plus, I have no need for a table to hold the wood; I use Mother Earth.

Maybe it is time you get those knees fixed?[/quote]

I hear ya on the gravity part it sure makes some of the rounds heavy. Ya i need to get them fixed but right now i cant afford to be out of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.