Spotting a fake/clone stihl (is this legit?)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Just out of the box brand new never been used
If it is too good to be true ------- Buyer beware

Reactions: TreePointer
It appears to be the real deal...get the serial number and have Stihl check it for you..my buddy bought a new 044 a couple years back...the old boy bought it for a back up saw and never used it...it does happen....check it out.

As far as i know there are no 036 clones
It is a Stihl,it doesn't have any of the clone features,like lack of stickers,lack of Stihl molded on clutch cover
Top dollar for a clean 036,no deal unless you are looking for a nice 036 for your collection or you want a 036 in like new condition.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Top dollar for a clean 036,no deal unless you are looking for a nice 036 for your collection or you want a 036 in like new condition.

I’m slow. You think this is a pass unless a collector?

I’m not a collector. I just want to move beyond my big box store grade husky.

Looks brand new. Almost unbelievable. I would not consider this saw as “light”. Given where it is and where you are in person check is unlikely. Tough call.

I would just check the numbers but it looks real. There seem to be a fair amount of NOS or lightly used saws around. A buddy picked up a lightly used 044 a couple of years ago and I found several NOS 660's when I was looking for one. People buy saws and never use them.

I would just check the numbers but it looks real.

I wrote the seller and requested a snapshot of the serial#. He replied “why would you ask for the serial number”.

I can understand not feeling like spending time with the back and forth of selling stuff on Craigslist but I felt like for $600 it would be worth his time. With smartphones it seems like a low time investment.

As far as i know there are no 036 clones
It is a Stihl,it doesn't have any of the clone features,like lack of stickers,lack of Stihl molded on clutch cover
This ^ ^ ^...some of the clones will have the "Stihl" decal on top, but not molded on the chain cover...and no safety stickers...unless somebody bought them just to further the deception.
Plus a clone won't have a serial number, and if you go to look at it, take the top cover off, see if it has the Stihl molding info on the back...casting will have marks on them too if you know where to look. I would think everything would be OEM on one like this, but it is possible on one that is used more, the plastic could be aftermarket and the rest OEM...

I think you can do better than a leftover 036 for $600.

I wrote the seller and requested a snapshot of the serial#. He replied “why would you ask for the serial number”.

I can understand not feeling like spending time with the back and forth of selling stuff on Craigslist but I felt like for $600 it would be worth his time. With smartphones it seems like a low time investment.
You ask for the serial for one to see if its stolen and 2 to see if its legit...if he wont provide this info.. move on.

Appreciate the responses. I believe I’ll just let it be. I don’t need a deal. Just like to think I’m getting one. From the feedback here it doesn’t sound like it.

Reactions: Diabel
At first glance, the saw looks real. With that said, that's good money for what is now an old chainsaw.

It's not as if Stihl didn't make great saws after this era. Then came the 360, 361, 362, 362CM, etc.

I'd take a 361 over an old 036 for a number of reasons. As a matter of fact, that's exactly what I did many years ago. I still run a 361, and it's my favorite saw.

Reactions: Tar12