Spring is here?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riff

Burning Hunk
Nov 3, 2015
Virginia
So Spring starts on Sunday. Polar vortex forecast to hit here starting tonight and lasting through Monday with a Nor Easter forecast to hit over the weekend. Oh well, good excuse to use up some of the punky maple shorts I had aside for shoulder season.

I am trying to burn all the punky cherry and ash I set aside too. It looks like I'll have four or five days of burning weather here in central PA starting tonight. After that it will be unnecessary burning with the windows open, or else I'll have a lot of punky wood to store for one more summer. I don't mind saving solid wood, but the punky stuff is prone to rotting even further, so I would like to burn it.

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
I moved a 1/4 chord in at the beginning of the month and since then only burned twice. Really don't like cold weather, but don't want to move it out again either. Hoping to consume a good bit this weekend.

It seems like everyone is trying to use up the last of their not so go stuff before its to late I know that's what I'm trying to do burn up the not so solid stuff. I'll probably just have little fires here and there to take the chill out of the house if needed.

A cold front is dropping down into north east PA tonight. 37 and going down for the weekend. Fired up the stove for the first time in weeks.

I had some hemlock and pine moved up next to the house to get me through the shoulder season. All of the hardwood is stacked nicely in the primary stacks out in the yard. Well....my daughter and I just moved some of the hardwood back to the stack by the house. It is going to be in the mid-20's tonight and it will be a few more days before it starts warming up again. Thought Spring was here but Winter is still holding on :)

I've been burning some punky elm in the past days. Glad to get those out of my stacks....

We are supposed to get 12" of snow here tonight. Good news is it won't last long.

I burnt up all my punky stuff on weekends when I had time to feed it. Have just enough nice elm oak and cherry to get through this spring and have some left for bonfires. First time in 9 years that I have enough in the shed. Usually going for the reserves this time of year.

I am itching to cut some more up before it gets too hot. Have a lot of easy elms that can come down. I counted 26 cords in my stacks last week - mostly burr oak and some elm and cherry. No rush for me. I might see what kind of boards I can make out if a nice elm with the Alaskan mill.

4-5 inches the other day ... we may be getting some more ... but not as much today ... this time of year it goes quick ... just enough to make the drive to and from work aggravating with a quarter of the folks driving way too slow and holding everyone up and another quarter of the folks driving way too fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.