Spring time ... a little of this, little of that

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kennyp2339

Minister of Fire
Feb 16, 2014
IMG_2858.JPG IMG_2857.JPG IMG_2855.JPG IMG_2857.JPG IMG_0246.JPG
Thatched the lawn yesterday, got 22 55gal garbage cans of thatch, sticks, and pebbles out of just under an acre of lawn.
Using this $60 thatcher from Home Depot makes this easy work, although raking everything in piles is time consuming, started at 9:30am and finished the yard at 6:30pm with a few small breaks

Last edited:
Reactions: vinny11950
IMG_2852.JPG IMG_2853.JPG
Dug out 2 stumps on Saturday, need a bigger trailer so I decided to prep the area to extend the parking coverage.
This machine is awesome and is handling everything I throw at it, just got to take little bites to keep the stress low on the machine

Reactions: mwhitnee
Is the "thatcher" like a spring tine rake?

Is the "thatcher" like a spring tine rake?
yes, but it made to be pulled behind a garden tractor or atv, I will attest that the thing is worth its weight in gold, this first time I used it (5 years ago) I thought I broke my lawn, it seriously looked like I ripped out all my grass, but it just pulled the dead stuff up, also loosens everything to make raking a breeze. I know do my lawn every other year like this, unless we have a severe winter (extreme cold with little snow) then I'll do it yearly as more grass dies.

Reactions: Highbeam
Nice work, Kenny. It pays off later in the year.
Thanks, going to put down scotts turf builder with haltz crab grass preventer tonight, then do a weed and fee come mid may, that should keep me good until mid to end of August (depending on dryness and heat) before the next feeding.
I really swear by the scotts brand, also fyi to those in the MA and NE, in order to get the true fertilizer (with nitrogen) you need to buy in an inland state due to state water restrictions of nitrogen leaking into water ways, for me I buy my fertilizer in PA.

Still way too soft and muddy for me to put anything on the lawn . . . and in truth, as of yesterday there was still snow in some places on the back and side lawn.

Still way too soft and muddy for me to put anything on the lawn . . . and in truth, as of yesterday there was still snow in some places on the back and side lawn.
It took about 2 weeks for the yard to dry out enough to rack, the soil is still moist but not mushy, due time my friend. The nice thing is that even though I dread raking the yard like this, I did get it done early and was able to beat the bug season.
Todays job is to clear some brush after work and drop (2) standing dead maples, I had a couple home depot gift cards I used yesterday to buy fertilizer and maybe a fiskers x27 :)