Springtime Firewood Festival

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Simonkenton

Minister of Fire
Feb 27, 2014
Marshall NC
AfJ4fx1l.jpg

I cut down this big locust tree. When I bought this property 24 years ago I had hundreds of locust trees.
The blight swept through 20 years ago and killed them all.

ilUwEy1l.jpg

My brother and I had to use the rope and pulleys to move the logs down the steep mountain. Had to move the wood about 80 feet down to the driveway.

A2GZVmfl.jpg

The blocks of the pretty green colored wood began to pile up.

GqlziBtl.jpg

A fine sight. Zero rot. I have just about quit sawing up my locust, the trees on the ground are half rotten. I don't stack rotten wood.

sAz6PZZl.jpg

A truck load of locust. The best firewood in the state and you can't buy it. There is hardly any locust left, you can buy cherry or oak, or hickory, but not locust.

ppNT6T5l.jpg

The Fiskars would not do the job, to my surprise. Usually locust is easy to split.
I had to get out the Ochsenkopf and the ten pound hammer. Ochsenkopf doesn't play.
19 percent moisture. I am going to put a stick in the wood stove tomorrow.

Last edited:
890VGxGl.jpg

It got good to me. I went out this morning and got another truck load.
I cut two dead standing locust this time. They were smaller diameter, about 10 inches.
Once again, not a milligram of rot.

Looks like you are off to a great start with some nice looking weather.

I have just about quit sawing up my locust, the trees on the ground are half rotten. I don't stack rotten wood.
I've never seen any rotten BL, even when I found it lying on the ground with no bark left. But yeah, sometimes it will have a pithy center, which I'll just chip away with a hatchet. If it's not much, I don't bother with it, it will just burn away leaving the good wood to burn and heat the house.
You've commented on other pics, saying the wood was rotten, and I saw nothing wrong with it, so I guess you just have very high standards. ;)

Reactions: JimBear
I am so busted! I don't know rotten wood when I see it.
Please, in your great wisdom and experience, tell me what rotten wood is.
I am lucky to be able to learn from someone as experienced as you are.

I am so busted! I don't know rotten wood when I see it.
Please, in your great wisdom and experience, tell me what rotten wood is.
I am lucky to be able to learn from someone as experienced as you are.
OK, I agree with everything you said there. Nice to see that you've come around to my way of thinking; It reinforces by belief that I'm always right. ;) ;lol
Seriously, if you want to throw some good wood away due to your aversion to "rot," go ahead..it's your life. :cool:

You Lucky Dog ! Looks like most had no bark too.

1586000701136.png