SS Flue question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gorsuchmill

Hearth Supporter
Mar 14, 2008
Central MD
I live in an 1870's house with a stone chimney and tile lined flue. The flue is 8x13 at the top and reduces down to 8x8 near the thimble. There is also a clean out a few feet below the thimble. Prior to connecting my Tarm Solo 40, I'd like to re-line with an insulated SS liner. It would be easiest to knock out the thimble and turn a 90 on the flexible liner; however, should I spend the effort to install a T so I can use the cleanout? If the latter, can I install some type of block-off at the top of the T and just let the bottom of the T hang free so any debris drops down a couple of feet to the cleanout? I would think it difficult to do work with any pipe below the T without busting out a lot of stone chimey in the front.

Also, how different are the types of SS for liners. The 304 is cheaper than 316, but does it really matter for a gasifier with its relatively low stack temps?

Thanks.

I just installed a SS 316 liner for my Tarm.I used 7" Forever Flex,It is fairly stiff and you could never bend it 90*.The Tee they supplied worked really well,I cut a hole about 10"square for the thimble,dropped the liner in,connected the snout and mortered up the opening.all went fairly smooth.I have a cleanout just below the Tee,I can reach up and install or remove the cleanout cap on the tee as needed.I haven't connected the boiler yet but I think it will work out well.

I asked almost the same question weeks back. The webmaster suggested heatfab 304 stainless in smooth 4 foot sections, an appliance tee with cap on the cleanout door tee. they make different length 12, 18, 24, 48. they also have 48" section with insulation on or you can buy 2' section of snap-on insulation. flex may be necessary if your chimney is not straight. assemble and lower down the chimney with rope attached, untie when down and in place. install removable horizontal tee connection for appliance. I will be relining my 12X12 tile with 6" heatfab stainless 304 plus insulation. I can't justify purchasing the 316 when the 304 in guranteed for life. sweetheat

Status
Not open for further replies.