St criox owners please help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If my stove runs non-stop on setting 3, I'll get about 18 hours out of a bag. I will average a bag a day over the course of the entire season.

Reactions: RobertNH
Then I'm probably not far off the mark.
Difference could be variable of pellets, location in the home and demand of heating.

You running on the thermostat?

That's my next step.
I wanted it up and running smooth first.

Once again.. Thank you all for the assistance!

Reactions: bogieb
I strongly suggest setting up OAK if you haven't already done so. It will really help cut down on drafts.

Very good advise, and I do have one setup.

I'll ask you since you're burning Okie's..
Assuming you've burned other brands, You like them over others?

I'm burning them by advise of the Dealer..
I've burned them before in the 'cheapie' stove I just replaced and really liked them, so I didn't hesitate buying (actually part of the deal I struck buying the stove).

Except for a few trial bags when I first got the stove, I've been burning Okanagan exclusively. This, year I changed from platinum to douglas fir.

That's my next step.
I wanted it up and running smooth first.

Once again.. Thank you all for the assistance!

I got a slide thermostat, just need to hook it up (electronics not my strong suite, so will dither until I just can't avoid it). Once the cold hits again, and I don't want to leave it at 1 all day while I'm at work (sunny days warm my house up pretty good), I'll try to figure it out.

I got a slide thermostat, just need to hook it up (electronics not my strong suite, so will dither until I just can't avoid it). Once the cold hits again, and I don't want to leave it at 1 all day while I'm at work (sunny days warm my house up pretty good), I'll try to figure it out.

Use the Smartstat mode. The stove will shutdown totally if the thermostat goes 1 hour without calling for heat.

I had a oven temp hung in front and was only reading 150*
Wasn't believing it, it felt hotter..
Grabbed my infra-red and shot into the grill from the front and reading 215*-248* depending on distance and angle..

Seems like I may have the heat output right now! Whoa!

Kinda surprised that I'm burning a bag in 12-14 hrs @ setting 3...
Burning Okie's..

How big a space you heating that you can leave it on 3 all the time? Okay, I'm just heating 950 s/f but #3 takes the living room and kitchen to 80 and the back bedrooms to 70's. Once I get it to temp, idling at 1 keeps it warm with a bump every now and again to make sure the pipes stay clear. Of course, once the cold weather really hits, it might be a different story.

I'm heating about 1800 Sq ft

Use the Smartstat mode. The stove will shutdown totally if the thermostat goes 1 hour without calling for heat.

I have to figure out how to hook up the thermostat first - that is my issue :)

On the back of the stove just over the air intake, there are 2 wire terminals, one black and one red. Connect the wires of your thermostat there and you will be all set.

My thermostat didn't come with wire (???) so I have to figure that out first. Like I said, electrical is not my strong suite. and if anyone starts on dips and jumpers I will scream - LOL

I use a wireless thermostat.

On heat level 3, I get 300-320º with a magnetic stove thermometer in the airstream. It heats most of 2200 square feet.

On heat level 3, I get 300-320º with a magnetic stove thermometer in the airstream. It heats most of 2200 square feet.

Dahh.. I've been hanging an oven thermometer and I have my magnetic flue thermostat.. Dahh..
You're nearly twice what I'm getting, so I have some more tuning to do.
Thank you!

I'm fighting with a masonry chimney, so I will probably always be a little behind what you folks are getting.

I use a wireless thermostat.

That's the way to go!
I may just do the same.
I uncertain where I actually what it to be..
Great idea!

I have mine in the basement room and the old cheapie used to be the over-nighter as well as the 'as-we-use' stove.
Have the thermostat down in the room right now, but think I'd rather have it at the top of the stairs..
Decisions... Oh so many..

Wire-less! Ya Baby!

My thermostat didn't come with wire (???) so I have to figure that out first. Like I said, electrical is not my strong suite. and if anyone starts on dips and jumpers I will scream - LOL

Go to the Local Box Store of your choice and pick-up a roll of 18/2. That's an 18 gauge wire with 2 lines in it. Electricity doesn't really care, well in this instance, if it's solid, twisted, copper or aluminum.
I suggest solid copper cause it's just easy to get and easy to work with. 18 gauge with easily travel 100ft without loss to bother you. While there, buy some small wire staples, you'll need them.
On the thermostat you will see several connections.
The Rh is the heat one, white is the neutral (why it's not black we can discuss it some other point in time..LOL)
Rh equals Red (wire) heat.
On your stove you will see a Red and Black terminal
Red to Red
White (thermostat, which is probably the black wire you bought, neutral) to black (now you may see the humor in the later discussion of why the hell they do this..)

One came with my stove, as I believe came with yours.
If so, there are only two terminals set-up (two screws in place).
No need to figure out any other sequence on your part.

Have any questions while hooking it up?
Have a feelin' not only I will help.. Look above! Several good folks here willin'!

I'm now on the Thermostat.
I'm still fine tuning and find I don't change the air output.
What changes is the fan speed and how long it maintains.

I've placed my magnetic flue thermometer on the air grate and I'm pushing a constant 150*
Same reading as the oven thermometer I had hanging there..
Infra-red reads 200-250* inside the grate (highest at 278*)
I think I'm at what it will do.
Now it's getting it to re-start in auto.. Shut down last night..

Getting very close here.
I do believe my masonry chimney is my issue with tuning.

3 days without power and I just had it up and running good...
Has taken 1 day to get back again..
This time.. I have it written down!

Question though, On Tstat or Smartstat, does it matter which heat setting you're on?
My understanding is no, but... I'm not sure.. Belief is the stove takes over everything in these modes..
Yet should it be set at a certain level??

In TStat mode, the stove will go into a low idle state when the thermostat stops calling for heat and stay there until heat is called for again. Smartstat mode works the same way except that the stove will shut down after an hour if heat isnt called for.

About the level setting. When the thermostat calls for heat, the stove will operate at whatever level you set it at.

Thank you Tim!
You've been quite the resource for me!

Glad to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.