ST Croix Smart Stat Question #2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

colbyc

Hearth Supporter
Dec 17, 2008
long island
I hooked up my Hastings to a programmable thermostat today and set it to Smart Stat. The manual doesn't give too much info on this mode.

Is the stove supposed to put itself on the highest heat level when the thermostat calls for heat, or do you just leave it on one specific setting and it stays there? The manual says it will drop back to level one, but mine never got out of level one which is where I sarted it from.

If you leave it on just one of the settings, which one do you set yours for?

Thanks in advance for your help.

colbyc said:
I hooked up my Hastings to a programmable thermostat today and set it to Smart Stat. The manual doesn't give too much info on this mode.

Is the stove supposed to put itself on the highest heat level when the thermostat calls for heat, or do you just leave it on one specific setting and it stays there? The manual says it will drop back to level one, but mine never got out of level one which is where I sarted it from.

The setting that you have it on is the one it will go to when it calls for heat. It will drop back to level 1 when heat is no longer called for. In Smartstat mode, if it doesn't call for heat for 3 hours, the stove shuts down. It will restart when heat is called for again.

colbyc said:

I have an Afton Bay hooked up to a Skytech 3301P. I keep my stove set on either 3 or 4. When it gets a call for heat, it will stay there until it no longer gets the call. Then it goes to 1 for up to an hour, if still no call it shuts down. After it shuts down it will restart as needed. I only use Smart Stat in the shoulder season. In the winter I use thermostat mode because it seems for me as soon as it shut down it would immediately start up again. I just want to save wear and tear on the ligniter.

colbyc said:

I leave mine on 3, but it's usually just idling. You can tell by the power light blinking. Blinking means no heat is being called for and the stove is actually on 1 even though the 3 setting is lit. I'm not sure about the Hastings, but I have the St. Croix insert and the smartstat kicks off after a hour if no heat is called for. I'm not using smartstat anymore now that it's below freezing at night and only in the 40's during the day. Running 24/7.

It seems my smart stat mode is not working. The stove never turns off. The thermostat mode works because I see it in drop back to a pilot when the temp is met.

Is anyone familiar with the basic wiring of a thermostat? Maybe I am missing something very basic. My stove has two thermostat terminals on the back of it, Red and Black. The thermostat I bought (a basic ACE HARDWARE programmable) says to connect a two wire to the RH and W. I did have to move a jumper on the thermostat from Electric to Gas. My freind who has the same stove and thermostat hooked the White wire of the cable to the RH on the thermo to the black on the stove. He hooked the red wire to W on the thermo to the red on the stove. His works fine and according to a post I saw last year by mkmh, you can reverse the wires and it should not matter. The terminals on my stove are not labled as far as I can see and I am not sure exactly what the red, black, RH and W stand for. I cannot get the stove to shut down in Smart Stat mode. I am not very familiar with thermo wiring but it seems basic, but I must be missing something???

It shouldn't matter where you put the wires, now the stat you have does it have a swing temp setting I know on my stat thers a 2* swing which means if the stat is set at 70 it wont shut down until it hits 72 .Maybe your settings on the stat are off, if your friend has the same stat maybe he could look at it for you.

One more thought I know you said you had it on smartstat,but could it possibly be on tstat which is the center position on the board in that mode the stove never shuts down.

I did check several times and it is pushed all the way to the left to smartstat. I also did think about the swing degrees. Last night it was 70* in my house, the thermostat was programmed for 68* and I lowered it to 67 and it was still going after a hour and a half. I did notice that after I lowered the temp to 67, I heard the thermostat click and then the stoves on off light started blinking, where before it was constantly on. I figured once it started blinking it would shut off after a hour but it was still going 1.5 hrs later. I am going to take a drive to my freinds house today to see if I can find anything that is different between his and mine. I just thought this was simple to do but am having so many problems with this.

It is simple and you will get it figuerd out, you said you turned it down to 67* and heard the stat click and the on/off light was blinking so that part is working right.Maybe next time when you have it set at 70* turn it way down as low as the stat will go and see what happens.

Completely disconnect your thermostat from the stove and put the stove in smartstat mode. If the stove kicks off after an hour, then it's something to do with the thermostat you bought. If it still doesn't kick off, then you got a circuit board trouble. Jumper J9 enables the “SmartStat” Thermostat Mode with the Jumper cap placed on both pins (Factory Setting). Page 14 from http://www.eventempinc.com/stcroix/downloads/dig2/Digital_Control_Board_Service_Manual.pdf

I haven't had a chance to check the jumper but it seems it is a circuit board issue. Even though I have it in smart stat mode, the stove is acting like it is thermostat mode. After it reaches the desired heat level, it pilots itself until the thermostat calls for heat and then it goes backs to the level 3 setting which is where I have it. My freind and I have have everything set up exactly the same. The only difference is you can tell when he moves his switch from manual to smart stat as it clicks and seats in a position, where with mine you never really feel it stop. It just kind of slides.

Status
Not open for further replies.