St Croix York insert - #4 troubleshooting code ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dhickok11

Jan 16, 2012
Western Mass
Hello all,

I have a St Croix York pellet insert from 2003 I believe. The stove recently stopped working and the #4 light is flashing on the stove's main board. The strange thing is this troubleshooting light sequence is not in the manual and I have never seen it.
#3 is the low limit or POF code, usually out of pellets
#2 is vacuum, usually dirty stove
and #2 + #3 is the high limit

What the heck does the #4 troubleshooting code indicate?

Thank you,
Dan

I've never seen that code, but I believe it's for factory troubleshooting. There is a thread somewhere in here about that code, but I don't recall if there was any definitive answer. Maybe a call to the manufacturer would help. Have you unplugged the stove for a few minutes, to reset the control?

Yes, I had the stove unplugged for 24 hours and still I am getting the code and it's not running. I hadn't thought of a factory code, though. That is helpful information, I'll keep digging.

Thank you,
Dan

Does stove try to run or just sit there looking dumb? The control boards when viewed standing up always seem to be a setting higher than they are, aka #3 looks like #4 which would be POF aa you know. Stove would at least run for 5 minutes with this code.

Can't find meaning behind an actual 4 code though

• Wow
Reactions: Ssyko
yep- hi limit switch. Bypass it momentarily and see that unit runs. Do not run it in this unprotected mode. make sure your convection blower is running (Might be the cause of the overheat) if so, then switch is prob bad.

Reactions: Ssyko
There is line voltage on my overtemp switch, so make sure yours in unplugged before you bypass the switch.

My switch has a manual reset (small red button); if yours has one, push it in. If it clicks, the switch was tripped. If not, the switch could be defective.

I had 1 that was tripping Hi limit that almost stumped me. All seemed good but switch would trip. Kinda low on draft meter but enough to close the switch. Finally pulled the comb moter and found motor was running slow and had some fan blades rusted off. Replaced comb motor and blade and ran like a champ