Stack Temp... Can't Keep It Under Control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckdeuce

Feeling the Heat
Feb 11, 2008
Western, PA
Any thoughts?

I posted before asking if I needed a damper, but I am looking for additional advice.
Mansfield, average wood, 4' DVL pipe with probe thermometer 18" up to 90' wall thimble, outside and up 18' of class A chimney.

At 500 stove top temp, my stack temp seems out of control. If I shut it down completly, the stack can be anywhere between 700-1000. And it runs there until my stove top temps start to drop. That can't be right.... I don't think I have a draft problem because I can load at 10pm and still have a bunch of hot coals 10am the next day that light things right back up. I thought the thermometer might be bad, but I can smell the pipe cooking sometimes when it hits 1000. When I shut it down the all the way, my wood glows red and I have nothing but secondarys running at the top of the stove and dancing on the glass, but all of the tubes are producing. I am new to this stove, and VERY happy with it but it seems like I am losing a lot of heat up the chimney.

Thanks - Chris

Sounds normal to me, especially with the insulated pipe which is specifically quoted, "DVL improves stove performance by maintaining high flue gas temperatures" I suspect you may get a smell as new pipe warms up to full temp, but it should go away pretty quick. As I preach before, it's not the gas temps to worry about, it's the actual pipe temps - but even if the pipe itself was 1000º, sounds like it's within reason.

http://www.woodlandstoves.com/product.asp?Product_Id=26880&d_Id=7940&l1=7940&l2;=

cozy heat said:
Sounds normal to me, especially with the insulated pipe which is specifically quoted, "DVL improves stove performance by maintaining high flue gas temperatures" I suspect you may get a smell as new pipe warms up to full temp, but it should go away pretty quick. As I preach before, it's not the gas temps to worry about, it's the actual pipe temps - but even if the pipe itself was 1000º, sounds like it's within reason.

http://www.woodlandstoves.com/product.asp?Product_Id=26880&d_Id=7940&l1=7940&l2;=

Ah... That's a good piece of info - Thanks! Always thought the function of double wall SP was only to reduce clearance for install. Never knew that it was also to help the stove work.

I would assume it would also limit creosote because of the high temps.... Right?

Thanks again

I don't think you are in any kind of "danger" zone. As a matter of fact, I would bet that many here would love to have your performance.

My opinion is: This is one setup that I might consider a stack damper. 700F is quite normal for stack temp, but holding 1000F for the duration of the "active" fire is on the boarder line for ME! It doesn't scare me, but personally I would like to see it somewhere south of that. A stack damper could just be the trick. I am not a big advocate of stack dampers on EPA stoves, but there are a small percentage of installs that I think can benefit from them if use properly.

OK, my nerves are calming. I just see so many poeple claim they run 300-400 range and I hit that just by throwing a match in this thing from a cold start!!

Dude, people with hearthstones don't get 300-400 stack temps. My stack temps are almost exactly what you describe. Remember that hearthstone tells you to keep your stovepipe temp above 400 for heat and 400 degree surface temps equate to 800 internal temps on a standard single wall pipe.

Every new fire I run the flue up to 1000 and then adjust the draft to keep a healthy fire depending on desired heat output and cruise temps are 600-800+. When I have a big load of fuel in there for an overnight burn and the draft closed with big secondary action I will easily be at 850 in the flue.

My experience with the same double wall pipe and a hearthstone pretty much mirrors yours. Your pipe is rated for up to 2100 degrees intermittently and 1000 continuous.

[quote author="Highbeam" date="1262988377"]Dude, people with hearthstones don't get 300-400 stack temps. quote]

Thanks "Dude"

I'ts nice hearing from a Hearthstone owner.

Thanks again - Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.