Stack temperature readings.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

larryhollenb

Jan 19, 2006
Hello all,

Been having some time trying to get my new "old" stove to not get everything too hot. I changed the pipe run from one that went up to the 18 inches below the ceiling and then over about 3 feet to the wall flue inlet to one that goes up about 2 feet including a damper in line, then a 35 degree angle up to the flue. That made a huge difference in the amount of heat that is getting to the ceiling. In fact its so much cooler with this set up its surprising. I think that slightly sloped run became a real heat trap and after the fire was running near the 400 range it became very hot against the ceiling. Having that slope evidently greatly increases the movement of the heat up the chimney.

I put two exterior chimney thermometers on the flue pipe this time to get some idea how it varied. Since the straight out of the flue run is short the gauge is just above the damper about 20 inches above the stove top. The other I put on the pipe about 3 feet up the line almost to the wall flue entrance. I am finding that with a fairly hot reading nearer the stove, such as 475, that the other nearer the wall is showing nearer 300. So it occurs to me that I am not sure which is the important reading. I am guessing that since the pipe is evidently cooling farther up that its more the real reading to go by?

Status
Not open for further replies.