stack wood against concrete block/stucco ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nhorzepa

Jan 1, 2012
North Jersey
I'm thinking this is a bad idea, but our lot is rather small and this would be a good solution.

We have a 60+ ft long stucco covered concrete block retataining wall along the back of our property.
It has concrete support columns that jut out ~3ft at ~8 ft intervals. Right now the area between the supports are planters that have a hodge podge of trees/plants/flowers (not exactly seamless or very put together).

I'm thinking about converting some of these planters into covered areas for wood piles.
I'd keep a gap between the wood and the retaining wall.
Would this be too wet/molding? Would green wood dry?

Reactions: Nixon
Keep it off the ground and stack right against the wall, you have to use the room you have, send us a before and after picture. Good Luck and Welcome.

Reactions: ScotO
Keep it off the ground and stack right against the wall, you have to use the room you have, send us a before and after picture. Good Luck and Welcome.

Great!
I'll have to remember to twaake pictures. I've got an insulation/sheetrock project waiting for me to finish first...which I'm avoiding!

It would be preferable to create an air gap along the back, but not necessary. It could be easily done by stacking the majority of the splits and inch or two away from the wall, and have the occasional split touching the wall. This would prevent lean. But I'm guessing here, never done it myself.

Reactions: ScotO and Nixon
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like a good idea to me. I would just make sure that any water has good drainage and you should be set. I would leave a small gap between the wood and the wall also.

Your plan sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

I'm thinking this is a bad idea, but our lot is rather small and this would be a good solution.

We have a 60+ ft long stucco covered concrete block retataining wall along the back of our property.
It has concrete support columns that jut out ~3ft at ~8 ft intervals. Right now the area between the supports are planters that have a hodge podge of trees/plants/flowers (not exactly seamless or very put together).

I'm thinking about converting some of these planters into covered areas for wood piles.
I'd keep a gap between the wood and the retaining wall.
Would this be too wet/molding? Would green wood dry?

Welcome to the forum nhorzepa.

Your plan sounds good. As others have stated, put something under the wood stacks. Something like landscape timbers or just cut some saplings in the woods and stack on those. Or you can sacrifice some of your wood to make two rows to stack onto. I'd also leave 2-6 inches between the wood and the wall. Air circulation is what you need to dry wood and if it is stacked tight, you won't get the circulation.

Your asking about green wood makes me wonder if you have not got wood for this year yet. I hope I am wrong else you are in for some very big problems. Most wood needs a year or more for good drying.

scrounge up some pallets maybe? You could even use them for the gap if you decide to do it that way. Welcome, these guys are a fountain of useful and often funny knowledge.

Leave the gap and avoid the mold. Stucco can get moldy in shade let alone with wet wood touching it. Maybe throw some empty plastic bottles behind the stack to keep it from laying over. A good stack won't fall anyhow.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Thanks again for the help.

I'll definitely keep the wood off the ground and slightly away from the wall.

We've been splitting wood since Feb, so the wood is definitley not seasoned optimally.
Right now it's spread around our lot...very hodge podge. It's making a nice barrier between us and the one neighbor. But I'd really like my flat parking space back and there's a bunch of logs that need to be c/s/s.
Supposably we can get some free seasoned wood from a friend, which has been sitting around split for awhile (tree guy).

Our stove isn't even connected yet and I'm wondering if it will even happen this year.

Thanks again for the help.

I'll definitely keep the wood off the ground and slightly away from the wall.

We've been splitting wood since Feb, so the wood is definitley not seasoned optimally.
Right now it's spread around our lot...very hodge podge. It's making a nice barrier between us and the one neighbor. But I'd really like my flat parking space back and there's a bunch of logs that need to be c/s/s.
Supposably we can get some free seasoned wood from a friend, which has been sitting around split for awhile (tree guy).

Our stove isn't even connected yet and I'm wondering if it will even happen this year.
Welcome to your newest addiction! I would do like others have suggested......get some skids or saplings to stack on, and leave an air gap between the wall and the stack. As Backwoods Savage stated, try to use the wood that has been seasoning the longest this year. If you plan on using oak that you recently C/S/S, you're not going to be happy. It takes the longest to season. Get with someone who has some seasoned wood, and mix that with your less-than-optimal wood. You'll see this scenario play out a hundred times the next 6 months here on this forum. Everyone is going to tell you on here to get at least two years ahead (more if you can) on your firewood. That way, you have it C/S/S for a minimum of two years, it will make an unbelievable difference in how your stove heats and how your chimney stays clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.