Stacking on porcelain tile?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Whirled Peas

Mar 7, 2019
Vermont
Hi all,

I am adding an addition on my house and will include ~100 sq-ft of covered porch that will be dedicated firewood storage. The floor will be slab on grade concrete, but I was was wondering if anyone has any thoughts or experience with stacking wood on porcelain 'stone-look' tiles? I'm sure putting some 1x4s down on the concrete and then stacking the wood on top of that would be easier/cheaper, but this area will be immediately adjacent to the main entry to my home and that was why I was interested in potentially installing the tiles.

Pictures to come... in a few months.;)

My experience is that tile can take some really good shots when laid properly on a stiff base like a concrete floor, it will break when laid on a wood sub floor due to flexing.

Especially if you have lumber to spread the load (and no corners of splits transmit the forces of the weight of the wood to one locations).
if you have two 3.5"-width pieces of lumber there, it'll go ok imo.

Stamping the concrete could be an option too.

Reactions: EbS-P
If built properly no, you will not have a problem.
If you do thin set or a mortar set you “may” if the tiles are open to any weather.

Stamping is a very good option.

I stack a weeks worth of wood on a covered deck. To protect the deck I have 4 or 5 of these custom made pallets. About 12" x 24" made with 2X6 and 4x4. As we get into shoulder season now, I have 2 left out there. Just in case a cool night.

I would keep the wood off the concrete, as it's going to be sitting in and trapping water.

Thanks all. The concrete goes down tomorrow morning, so I'm a bit late to the game with discussing some sort of a stamping pattern (with both my wife and my contractor!).

The space is ~11.25'x8.5' so I'm thinking I'm going to build a partial partition wall in the middle somewhere to be able to have one side fully stacked and another empty for summer storage, etc.

I like the custom pallets idea. Do you think think the pallets do a better job than just some 2x4' on their flat sides?

IMG_0996.JPG
My woodshed is that size. 8x12 on the outside. It is phenomenal how much woods fits in there.

Thanks all. The concrete goes down tomorrow morning, so I'm a bit late to the game with discussing some sort of a stamping pattern (with both my wife and my contractor!).

The space is ~11.25'x8.5' so I'm thinking I'm going to build a partial partition wall in the middle somewhere to be able to have one side fully stacked and another empty for summer storage, etc.

I like the custom pallets idea. Do you think think the pallets do a better job than just some 2x4' on their flat sides?
The 2X4 would be fine to keep air space under it. I would not stack against the house. And I only put wood up there in the winter. There are bugs in there.
My covered deck is 6' x 20'. perfect for winter storage of grill, chairs, etc. The wood deck would get banged up if we threw the wood on the floor without the pallets. They are just the right size to go along the outside railing. I stack a single row on them about 4' high.