Stainless liner brands and material

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DaHole

Hearth Supporter
Oct 2, 2010
WI
Hi all,

I need to buy a stainless liner and see many different brands, and all seem to be 316 stainless. Is there really any difference in the actual material between brands? Isn’t 316, 316. If it has something else in it, it wouldn’t be 316 anymore. If that is correct, then we just get down to quality of the construction of the liner and the thick of steel. For example one vender lists a .006 316 in two models. On is the normal wall and the second option is what they call a smooth wall. Some brands will want $300 for a 20’ liner and others will want $600.

if it’s 316 and the wall thickness is the same, what am I missing on why people keep talking about buying from a very popular online store?

Stay away from the thin two-ply stuff. It has a tendency to delaminate, pucker, and present problems according to the sweeps.

Hi all,

I need to buy a stainless liner and see many different brands, and all seem to be 316 stainless. Is there really any difference in the actual material between brands? Isn’t 316, 316. If it has something else in it, it wouldn’t be 316 anymore. If that is correct, then we just get down to quality of the construction of the liner and the thick of steel. For example one vender lists a .006 316 in two models. On is the normal wall and the second option is what they call a smooth wall. Some brands will want $300 for a 20’ liner and others will want $600.

if it’s 316 and the wall thickness is the same, what am I missing on why people keep talking about buying from a very popular online store?
There are different materials 304 316L 316Ti 430 AL29-4C.
304 or the 316 liners are suitable for wood.

There are also different thicknesses and construction techniques. I really prefer either heavy wall or midweight liners. Regular corrugated light wall is acceptable but isn't as durable and is not smooth inside. Avoid the 2ply light wall stuff that is smooth inside. It is junk