Started splitting today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodsplitter67

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2017
Woolwich nj
I started splitting up the log length today. Got the saws going and started quartering up the big rounds. My son is now big enough to do the quartering by himself, with just a little help here and there. Its nice to have a dedicated area for splitting and processing. Im splitting a little earlier this year. What about you guys. Anyone processing a a little early

20221227_110808.jpg 20221227_112623.jpg 20221227_110436.jpg 20221227_125514.jpg 20221227_125941.jpg

My back hurts just looking at those rounds. I am getting away from that big diameter stuff. I bet you really like the grapple on the skid steer. I do see something I had not thought of with the way you use that shovel. Thanks for the idea.
Happy Splitting.

Got about a cord split up so far. doing what i can with the Fiskars. What I split will go in the shed when it gets empty after the season, so just piling it up for now.

Reactions: thewoodlands
your son is setting himself up for a serious back injury lifting like that. need to use deadlift posture. i wouldn't pick up[ the newspaper like that.

Since it's just me doing the work and thus no need to coordinate with anyone else's schedule, I can process some wood whenever I have a couple hours free. I'm currently working on wood for 2024.

I started splitting up the log length today. Got the saws going and started quartering up the big rounds. My son is now big enough to do the quartering by himself, with just a little help here and there. Its nice to have a dedicated area for splitting and processing. Im splitting a little earlier this year. What about you guys. Anyone processing a a little early

View attachment 306335 View attachment 306336 View attachment 306337 View attachment 306338 View attachment 306339
I had planned on starting on some dead pine but will wait until after this warmer weather with the rain gets rid of some snow, hopefully it doesn't leave everything like a hockey rink.

I am trying to get away from the big stuff too, but sometimes it's right there and you can't say no. I noodle them down to size to make them easier to maneuver.

We dont mined the big stuff.. Free is free.. Its all oak, thers some copper Beach and 1 log of maple. Theres alot of limb wood in this pile also.. Thats just wack and stack. The large diameter wood came delivered from a friend who owns a tree service. The large rounds we moved by machine cut rolled to the splitter and quartered them up. This wood was actually scrounged up last February/march and my friend dropped of some over the summer We will split up and go back on the scrounge.. Feels good to be out there with the boy.

Reactions: BrownT10
I'm waiting for some space to clear up to get a load of logs. I'm halfway through one of my 2 cord racks so sometime in the next month I'll get some wood.