Starting a chainsaw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Can someone post a video on drop starting? I like perfecting commonly acceptabled stupid and dangerous practices. :)

I cold start with the saw on the ground...usually with me pinning it down with my hand firmly on the handle.

I hot start standing just holding the handle.

Stroke is a leading cause of death and disability and, while I'm not a doctor, I know that most strokes begin with blood clots forming in the legs and becoming lodged in the blood vessels bringing oxygenated blood to the brain. I also know that the bruising caused by things as benign as ill fitting ski boots have been associated with clotting leading to a stroke. Strokes can be fatal or seriously debilitating. If bruising from ski boots can cause a stroke then it only stands to reason that bruising from starting a chainsaw between your legs can lead to a stroke. And yet it is unlikely that a chainsaw has ever been attributed to death or disability by stroke. Yet, if someone drop starts a saw using poor technique and receives a nasty gash, we know exactly what caused the injury. But death or disability is the same whether it's caused by a bloody gash or the silent killer.

I find that starting the saw is the easiest part of my day. Felling, limbing/bucking and moving the wood is much more difficult than starting.

Frankly,, if I have to worry about strokes. I'll either be a stubborn old man and stroke out in the woods doing something I love, or stay inside.

I find that starting the saw is the easiest part of my day. Felling, limbing/bucking and moving the wood is much more difficult than starting.

Yes, and it's even easier to drop start. And the most dangerous part of the day is felling, limbing and bucking. I just don't find drop-starting a saw to be dangerous. At all. It's like telling a motorcyclist not to kick-start their motorcycle until they had moved it to firm, level pavement. Yes, I'm sure someone, somewhere has been injured kick-starting on a hill or on dirt but most of us can safely manage right where it sits.

And starting the motorcycle is not the dangerous part of motorcycling.

Frankly,, if I have to worry about strokes

The point was to highlight the very low risk of proper drop starting, not to worry about strokes.

With proper technique, normal physical fitness and a typical modern lightweight saw, the term "drop starting" is a misnomer. Because you don't really "drop" the saw, you just use it's mass to counter a sharp pull on the starter. For this to work safely the saw needs to be balanced. Obviously an over-sized bar could make the technique less safe. Some saws have better balance for drop starting than others. An operator not familiar with the balance of a particular saw could have trouble. Only do it if you can maintain control of the saws mass and position at all times. If it doesn't feel safe, use another method.

Frankly,, if I have to worry about strokes. I'll either be a stubborn old man and stroke out in the woods doing something I love, or stay inside.

Most strokes occur indoors. Staying inside is not a useful strategy to avoid a stroke.

Reactions: firefighterjake
I always drop start my 441. Brake on or off, usually if it's cold I'll leave it on, if it's warm I won't.
When my dad taught me how to use his chainsaw when I was 13 (30 now), he didn't bend over and start it. In fact I don't believe I've ever seen anyone start a saw any other way.
But what works for me may not work for you , and vice versa.

Reactions: WoodyIsGoody