Starting to get cold in NW Wisconsin, lots of wood on the porch this season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WiscWoody

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2011
Winter WI
Tonight it’s forecasted to dip below zero for the first time this fall so maybe I can get some of the wood slowly burnt up, I have finally realized I have too much on the racks and I had to move some wood that was stacked on ten foot long, six foot high racks by the garage so I could reside it and I figured I’d put it all on the porch after I put extra support under it. I now have two seasons worth of long dried wood just outside the front door lol.

F19ED2A1-C55E-4CE1-89E6-6B2D096D92E1.jpeg

Damn, you're much colder than we are down here in the "FL part" of WI! ==c

Damn, you're much colder than we are down here in the "FL part" of WI! ==c
It did go down to -4 but at 7:15 now it’s up to -1, it’ll get much colder in time though.so glad no one’s shooting up out electrical substations here ugh!

My place, about southern mid state WI, hasn't hit 0 yet but has been singe digits on the plus side several mornings. Ground is not froze yet. Once we get a snow cover that sticks temps will drop like a rock in a well. Still doing the yo-yo swings temp wise here. Possible 1-4" snow Friday but followed by maybe 30-40F temps, makes for real fun time- black ice everywhere.

My place, about southern mid state WI, hasn't hit 0 yet but has been singe digits on the plus side several mornings. Ground is not froze yet. Once we get a snow cover that sticks temps will drop like a rock in a well. Still doing the yo-yo swings temp wise here. Possible 1-4" snow Friday but followed by maybe 30-40F temps, makes for real fun time- black ice everywhere.

Same for here. You are straight east of us ~70 miles by way of a crow.

@WiscWoody how do you like your Polar trailer? I park mine at the back of the house (walkout to the stove room). When loaded to the gills, it'll hold about a week's supply. It's the perfect wood hauler for me!

I have the walking arm version of it and I love it. It's taken a lot of abuse over the years.

2017-12-02 10.41.10.jpg

We have dipped below zero already, about a week ago or more. This week is supposed to be 15-34°. Supposed to goice fishing with the neighbor tomorrow.

@WiscWoody how do you like your Polar trailer? I park mine at the back of the house (walkout to the stove room). When loaded to the gills, it'll hold about a week's supply. It's the perfect wood hauler for me!
I love them and I’ve had mine for 15 years and I just replaced the tire in e with better 4-ply ones, the old 2-ply tires had one blow out on the side. They are tough trailers like Hawk said.

Reactions: all night moe
I work in facilities maintenance for Walmart and I drive to the Marshfield store all the time and it’s often 20 degrees warmer there in the mornings.

It's amazing how the temps can be different from one town to another. We are a mile outside of town and it is usually about 10° colder here than it is in town.

I love them and I’ve had mine for 15 years and I just replaced the tire in e with better 4-ply ones, the old 2-ply tires had one blow out on the side. They are tough trailers like Hawk said.

I just did the same with mine, but with 6 ply. Mine didn't blow out, but they started not holding air.

I just did the same with mine, but with 6 ply. Mine didn't blow out, but they started not holding air.

I just looked at your tires in your photo and I think they might be the same as mine, I’ll have to look and mine might be 6 ply too, I can’t recall now.

I just looked at your tires in your photo and I think they might be the same as mine, I’ll have to look and mine might be 6 ply too, I can’t recall now.
4 ply is much more common.

All I can think about is toilet paper reading this thread 🤣

I have the walking arm version of it and I love it. It's taken a lot of abuse over the years.

View attachment 304901
Where are these found?
What hitch system is used?

I normally use my pick up with 8' box but, things are not normal these days. That and my truck left some outstanding ruts last year in the yard, before the freeze.