Steel Air Tubes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wayne63

I posted last summer about a part for my Consoladated Dutchwest FA264CCL I was looking for Steel Air Tubes the part was discontinued along with other parts I refused to give up low and behold on 06/06/2020 I found the part and going to have my woodburner back up and running for the upcoming winter!!!!

Attachments

• 5F984390-A843-49CE-BCFA-430FFE872B4E.jpeg
    5F984390-A843-49CE-BCFA-430FFE872B4E.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 218
Reactions: begreen
Original thread

Sounds like it was meant to be. Good luck on the restoration of the CDW stove. Let us know how it works out and heats next winter.

Looks nice! Still sort of amazed by those pipes - the odd-ball lengths make no more sense even when installed. It's like some guy came running in from the fab shop with a hand full of scrap pipes and made the prototype, then when they went into production someone thought 'they must be that way for a reason' and baked it in to all production models!

I think those steel air tubes were the only ones left in the whole world cause I searched for a year and found these from Nicko’s chimney supply only 12 miles from my house ! They said those tubes been there since 1990 unreal but so Happy. I don’t know but they definitely work cause I burned with out them this past winter and the stove did not perform wellwith air tubes and new catalyst can’t wait to see how it burns this winter!!

Last edited:
Looks nice! Still sort of amazed by those pipes - the odd-ball lengths make no more sense even when installed. It's like some guy came running in from the fab shop with a hand full of scrap pipes and made the prototype, then when they went into production someone thought 'they must be that way for a reason' and baked it in to all production models!
I wondered that too. Maybe the designer was an organist on the side? It looks like an attempt to even out the flue gas or airflow in front of the cat?

I wondered that too. Maybe the designer was an organist on the side? It looks like an attempt to even out the flue gas or airflow in front of the cat?
I don’t know but all I know it works,I Tried making one for last winter it worked but not like the original it evenly distributed air to the catalyst

Last edited:
I have worked on lots of those stoves and never seen that part. Or any indication there was anything missing there. I wonder why that is. Either way for their day they were great stoves. And running properly they aren't bad even today compared to modern ones. Not as efficient but pretty good.

I have worked on lots of those stoves and never seen that part. Or any indication there was anything missing there. I wonder why that is. Either way for their day they were great stoves. And running properly they aren't bad even today compared to modern ones. Not as efficient but pretty good.
Yeah I bought this stove back in 1989 when I built my house it heats my family room and the kitchen and living room upstairs I think it’s very efficient I get a burn time anywhere between 9 to 10 hrs that’s with the steel air tubes and good catalyst as long as I can get parts for it I’ll keep it!!

Yeah I bought this stove back in 1989 when I built my house it heats my family room and the kitchen and living room upstairs I think it’s very efficient I get a burn time anywhere between 9 to 10 hrs that’s with the steel air tubes and good catalyst as long as I can get parts for it I’ll keep it!!
Long burn times don't nessecarily mean efficient. But they are still pretty good stoves and as long as you can keep it working I would see no reason to replace it either. I just wonder if only certain years had those tubes or what the story is there. Most I work on have a hollow ring with holes in it to accomplish what those tubes do.

Long burn times don't nessecarily mean efficient. But they are still pretty good stoves and as long as you can keep it working I would see no reason to replace it either. I just wonder if only certain years had those tubes or what the story is there. Most I work on have a hollow ring with holes in it to accomplish what those tubes do.
Oh yeah! Do they have the catalyst ?I know when my catalyst is engaged there is no smoke coming out of my chimney and very little creosote build up!!and it throws the heat!!!

Oh yeah! Do they have the catalyst ?I know when my catalyst is engaged there is no smoke coming out of my chimney and very little creosote build up!!and it throws the heat!!!
Yes it is the same stove same cat layout and everything just no tubes. And as I said in their day they were one of the more efficient stoves. New stuff is better but not better enough to warrant switching out for a new one when yours is working fine.

Reactions: Wayne63
Didn't they use a turbulator on some model of Dutchwest? I may be confusing stoves, but I thought I recall seeing that too. Maybe on the non-cat?

Didn't they use a turbulator on some model of Dutchwest? I may be confusing stoves, but I thought I recall seeing that too. Maybe on the non-cat?
The stoves like that I typically see have a cast flame impingement sheild that has lots of angled protrusions on it that could be called a turbulator I don't know. Then above that there is a cast ring that introduces air under the cat in the same way those tubes do.

The stoves like that I typically see have a cast flame impingement sheild that has lots of angled protrusions on it that could be called a turbulator I don't know. Then above that there is a cast ring that introduces air under the cat in the same way those tubes do.
Yes, that sounds like the part. Years ago we had a Dovre customer that had a burned out turbulator. The OP checked with Woodlands and they suggested modifying a CDW turbulator. He did and got the stove back in business.

Yes, that sounds like the part. Years ago we had a Dovre customer that had a burned out turbulator. The OP checked with Woodlands and they suggested modifying a CDW turbulator. He did and got the stove back in business.
I think the last dovre we work on was taken out of service last year.

Wayne63 I have read through all the comments and hope I am not missing something but what do those stainless steel pipes go on the other end we can't see? Do they slide into holes on an air intake of some kind? It would be educational to try to figure out how these pipes work as I have never seen anything like it.

Wayne63 I have read through all the comments and hope I am not missing something but what do those stainless steel pipes go on the other end we can't see? Do they slide into holes on an air intake of some kind? It would be educational to try to figure out how these pipes work as I have never seen anything like it.
I assume they work the same as the ring I know from these stoves and introduce heated air under the cat.