Steel Roof peeling around chimney? Pics inside

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gribur

Jul 10, 2021
Ontario
Hello all. My parents house caught fire about 8 years ago as a result of their wood stove. Everyone was fine and house rebuilt. Now today, I went on the roof to caulk around vent pipes and when I looked over at the steel roof below the chimney I was shocked. I am attaching pictures but it looks like heat is peeling away the coating on the tiles. My father says it is just from creosote but it looks more concerning. Please take a look and see what you think. I can get back up if more images are needed. The dark part is on the downward side of the chimney. Thanks all, have a great day.

27F81D24-F121-48E2-8F0B-153B2091351A.jpeg 2E9774A9-04A8-416C-97B5-8A775BCAD683.jpeg 6B3CB6A8-672F-4864-93EE-061A75872699.jpeg

That does not look normal. Did the fire reach up in the attic from below this area? What does it look like on the underside of the roof here?

If this is from creosote, dad needs to learn how to burn properly, starting with fully seasoned firewood.

Reactions: Shrewboy
Looks like the creosote is eating at the flashing & roof by the looks of that rust, and it's been going on for a long time. Can see a hole through the flashing. The flashing & the ring are spent. Roof needs to be scraped and repainted in that area.

Reactions: Shrewboy and Gribur
Hello, thanks for the reply. All of this was repla
Looks like the creosote is eating at the flashing & roof by the looks of that rust, and it's been going on for a long time. Can see a hole through the flashing. The flashing & the ring are spent. Rood needs to be scraped and repainted in that area.
Thanks for the reply. Being a novice I was concerned that it was hear causing the issue. Happy to hear it is cosmetic and a few parts and elbow grease will help. I hade no idea creosote was so powerful.

Hello, thanks for the reply. All of this was repla

Thanks for the reply. Being a novice I was concerned that it was hear causing the issue. Happy to hear it is cosmetic and a few parts and elbow grease will help. I hade no idea creosote was so powerful.

Was the house fire caused by a chimney fire, or was it a different issue (such as a fire that started in the wall of the house or broken front glass that allowed embers to fall out onto the floor etc)

are they still using the wood stove in the same way that they were when it caused a fire?
Wood must be stacked, covered with a roof, and seasoned for at least 12 - 14 months (depending on climate it may take longer, humid and cold areas dry much slower) or else there is too much moisture content in the wood.

I would recommend purchasing a 2 probe moisture meter from Amazon and making sure they are burning wood at the correct moisture, this will ensure they don't continue to have problems.

How often do they clean their chimney out to remove soot / creosote buildup?

Look over some wood stove guides on this forum, there may be other things they are doing incorrectly that is contributing to excessive creosote.

I hade no idea creosote was so powerful.
How long ago was the repair work done after the fire?

It looks like in addition to replacing the corroded flashing and storm collar, that burning habits may need updating too.

Can’t say I’ve ever seen a “tile roof” like that. But I don’t live in Canada either. I would be very concerned about that though. Something looks very wrong somewhere

Its terrible and a metal roof too and I hope mine never looks like that or even be close to that--tear it out and fix--yes--lol clancey

The flashing & storm collar need to be replaced. The metal roof panels themselves are cosmetic, as in the paint is peeling off, other than that, they appear fine. The flashing & collar, not so much.

well that's good and the roof is okay just replacing those parts but to see that and especially metal that is scary..thanks..clancey

I’m no roofing expert but I would imagine that the roof affected in that area has had its lifespan drastically shortened with that corrosion present. But perhaps with the main culprit (creosote) hopefully eliminated now, the further damage will also stop.