Steel Vs Ceramic Cat.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hopefully the cat install is pretty cut and dry. I don't see how I can pull the old and add the new. It doesn't seem like it slides in. Almost like I need to remove something. I'll take a look at the manual.

Hopefully the cat install is pretty cut and dry. I don't see how I can pull the old and add the new. It doesn't seem like it slides in. Almost like I need to remove something. I'll take a look at the manual.
I think you have to remove tubes and buffle. Did it once.

I think you have to remove tubes and buffle. Did it once.
Does anyone know the best way to have the gasket tight when putting the new cat in?

16390972794861998596832356663643.jpg 16390973083941062492605954546079.jpg

Use (painters) tape. It'll burn away upon first use.

Reactions: Highbeam
I believe the baffle is warped. I notice it's a little higher on the left side. 🤬

20211209_203535.jpg 20211209_203609.jpg

It looks like it simy sits there. I wonder if it's a warranty covered item.
It's a known issue, my got this way shortly after install. The dealer said bring it in and they will hammer it back to normal. i did it myself, after couple of fires it was the same way. Some guys pushed dealers to replace it. But it wraps again after a while. I just gave up. It doesn't seem like its affecting anything. It just dividing cat from firebox with wool laying on a top.

Lots of baffles fail to hold up. The ceramic ones in my noncat are bowed up in the middle about 1/4” away from the air tubes. Even the stainless steel ones that PE uses have been known to warp. Unless it actually causes a problem it can be just aesthetic.