Stihl 021 Problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spur0701

Jun 12, 2008
Southern Maryland
So my dad is getting up there, 86, so he doesn't cut wood anymore, just pays a guy to deliver it......so he had an older 021 he gave me. I have a Makida 6401 but wanted to use this 021 for limbing and other small stuff. He says it's been at least two years since it has been started. I drained the old gas mix, put new in, and put a new plug in.......it'll start but is hard and as soon as the trigger is pulled dies out. I adjusted the idle higher and it will stay running but as soon as the saw is raised it dies out....what could my problem be?

New Carb or rebuild the old one! I would put a new fuel filter on first you may get lucky!

smokinjay said:
New Carb or rebuild the old one! I would put a new fuel filter on first you may get lucky!

+1

Clean carb thoroughly; in my experience a carb kit is generally not needed.

Remove adjuster screws, needle valve, all diaphragms. Clean all screens and passageways with carb cleaner. Assembly is the opposite of disassembly.

Roscoe Picco Chain said:
Clean carb thoroughly; in my experience a carb kit is generally not needed.

Remove adjuster screws, needle valve, all diaphragms. Clean all screens and passageways with carb cleaner. Assembly is the opposite of disassembly.

Why your there its worth it!

"Clean carb thoroughly; in my experience a carb kit is generally not needed.
Remove adjuster screws, needle valve, all diaphragms. Clean all screens and passageways with carb cleaner." Excellent.

Fuel line/hose--another easy try.

New filter ( don't clean it if it's old )--fine idea also.

Other simples:

Set the 2 ( maybe 3 on yours ) carb adjusting screws to "factory setting" ( often 1 turn out )

New plug w correct gap. Don't use an old one.

And, get rid of the old fuel . Use the Stihl mix @ 50-1; we always use at least 89 octane gas for all the saws in winter, often high test below 20 F.

When you get it running, turn it upside down and sideways at WOT to be sure the fuel and carb are operating right.

And listen to mommie: use your PPE, even little saws bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.