Stihl 064 AV vs. 056 AV Magnum II

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting thread for me, as I own two 056 Mag IIs, and only just this week picked up an 064.

A bit late to weigh in with advice, but I think you made the right choice with the 064... even though I absolutely love my 056s.

The main problem with the 056 (as already mentioned) is parts availability, both of mine really need new mufflers and I've been having to patch the old ones up, or even fabricate one. The other is the weight - I used my 064 yesterday and it's certianly a lot lighter!
Another thing with the 056 is lots of vibration... make sure everything is done up tight!

On the other hand... after using my 064 yesterday, I can say without doubt the 056 has way more torque, way more power.
Having said that, the 064 still has enough power for my needs.

I was thinking of selling my 056 Mag 2s (including an incomplete 3rd one for parts), or possibly even part them out - but I suspect I would regret that in the future. I might just hang onto them I think.

Interesting thread for me, as I own two 056 Mag IIs, and only just this week picked up an 064.

A bit late to weigh in with advice, but I think you made the right choice with the 064... even though I absolutely love my 056s.

The main problem with the 056 (as already mentioned) is parts availability, both of mine really need new mufflers and I've been having to patch the old ones up, or even fabricate one. The other is the weight - I used my 064 yesterday and it's certianly a lot lighter!
Another thing with the 056 is lots of vibration... make sure everything is done up tight!

On the other hand... after using my 064 yesterday, I can say without doubt the 056 has way more torque, way more power.

I was thinking of selling my 056 Mag 2s (including an incomplete 3rd one for parts), or possibly even part them out - but I suspect I would regret that in the future. I might just hang onto them I think.
If you ever sell them Jesco, I'm your buyer!>> Welcome to the forum!

If you ever sell them Jesco, I'm your buyer!>> Welcome to the forum!

Easy there trigger, I'd hate to get in a bidding war with a hearth.com friend.......... but.::-) We might have to flip for those 056's. A C

Reactions: ScotO and Jesco
Crap, sorry jesco, got so involved doggin scotty, I forgot to say welcome. A C

Welcome Jesco! And about those 056's, we want pictures of course!

Welcome Jesco! And about those 056's, we want pictures of course!

Here we go:
78DSCN6381.jpg

There's an 038 somewhere in the shed, and a little MS170 kept in the car as well.

Than

Thanks MasterMech, I'll see what I can do about some pics, be warned they're not pretty to look at... plenty of scratches, worn out mufflers, etc. These beasties have done a lot of work :)

Wow....... Maybe they look bad to you.. Them some fine lookin saws ;)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Thats a dandy of a pic.

Welcome to the Forums and thanks for sharing.

Wow....... Maybe they look bad to you.. Them some fine lookin saws ;)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Thats a dandy of a pic.

Welcome to the Forums and thanks for sharing.

'Round these parts we like our saws to show a little evidence of work getting done. A fine herd indeed. ;)

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I get the impression the 056 Mag 2 is a lot rarer way over where you all are compared to Australia?
They're not exactly common here, but usually you can find one if you're reasonably patient. Getting certain parts such as ignition and mufflers is another story though!

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I get the impression the 056 Mag 2 is a lot rarer way over where you all are compared to Australia?
They're not exactly common here, but usually you can find one if you're reasonably patient. Getting certain parts such as ignition and mufflers is another story though!

While researching the two saws, and trying to decide which to buy, I read somewhere Stihl had made only 70 of the 056 AV Magnum II's. I found it very hard to believe Stihl had made only 70 of any one model.

While researching the two saws, and trying to decide which to buy, I read somewhere Stihl had made only 70 of the 056 AV Magnum II's. I found it very hard to believe Stihl had made only 70 of any one model.

Either I've been incredibly lucky find two complete and one incomplete,...or there were quite a bit more than 70 made! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.