Stihl 441 compared to Makita 6421??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bassJAM

Feeling the Heat
Jun 5, 2012
Cincinnati OH
I went camping this past weekend (for my bachelors party!!) and my buddy brought his 441 to cut firewood. We had a dead 25" black locust tree to drop, and since he wasn't comfortable dropping trees he hands the 441 to me. I figured it'd be similar to my Makita 6421, but that thing was an animal!! It's making me think that my Makita needs tuned better, because the Makita doesn't build revs as quickly as the 441 did, or doesn't run at nearly the high rpm's and bogs much easier. Bar lengths are 24" on the Stihl, and 20" on my Makita. So should the 2 saws be comparable at all? Does my Makita probably need the carb tuned my someone who knows what they're doing?

That being said, my little Husqvarna 550xp with an 18" bar put the 441 to shame!!! After dropping the tree I handed the 441 back to him and reached for mine to limb and buck. Going through 20" wood side by side we were dead even, I may have even been a touch faster. I didn't have the heart to tell him that his chain was ridiculously dull! He's made enough comments about my "cheap" Husky I figured he deserved to be shown up by it.

I know it won't run with the 441, but it felt like much more of a difference then 6cc's should have.

6421- pretty new saw- factory tune way lean to meet EPA specs- also Catalytic muffler. gut muffler, retune, whole different saw

Status
Not open for further replies.