Stihl 441 or 460?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dexter the way you keep saws I doubt the air filtration benefits would be an issue. The 372XP is a traditional 2 stroke that matches up best with the MS440. The MS460 is like sneaking a big-block into a race with a bunch of small-block v8's. It's gonna be noticed! The 441 is better compared with the 576XP as they are both stratocharged engines and available with AutoTune/Mtronic.

Let's be clear, I am a dyed-in-the-wool Stihl guy but if your Husky dealer wants to make it worth your while, I'd pick up that 576XP AutoTune with your BIL's 372XP. If monetary incentive doesn't play a leading role here, then go get your 460 and laugh as it mercilessly eats up the big logs.

I'm waiting patiently for Stihl to show me the MS461. Still waiting......

Dexter the way you keep saws I doubt the air filtration benefits would be an issue. The 372XP is a traditional 2 stroke that matches up best with the MS440. The MS460 is like sneaking a big-block into a race with a bunch of small-block v8's. It's gonna be noticed! The 441 is better compared with the 576XP as they are both stratocharged engines and available with AutoTune/Mtronic.

Let's be clear, I am a dyed-in-the-wool Stihl guy but if your Husky dealer wants to make it worth your while, I'd pick up that 576XP AutoTune with your BIL's 372XP. If monetary incentive doesn't play a leading role here, then go get your 460 and laugh as it mercilessly eats up the big logs.

I'm waiting patiently for Stihl to show me the MS461. Still waiting......

I stopped up there today to rent an arreator for the yard.... Its a 48" "Plugger". But I had to look at the Saws while I was there..... To be fair, I am going to still go to the Stihl dealer tomorrow and ask if they can throw anything in to sweeten the deal (extra bar and chain, hard case, oil, files, gloves, etc). I really want the 460.

But the deal on the Hedge trimmer and the Saw are pretty good. He even took the trimmer off the shelf and put it in the back with my name on it and said, " You can pick that up when you pick up your Saw"...

Went to a Gun Show today and sold one of my Rifles (Remington 700 BDL .270 w 3x9 and a bi-pod, also had synthetic stock and wood stick)...So if I add that in, I can get a 660. . LOL . . Also a 385 XP was posted on craiglist yesterday. Guy said he would take $400...... Decisions, Decisions, Decisions. ??!!??!!??

If I buy the Stihl, its like cheatin on my dealer. I go to this place for EVERYTHING. All my tools, lawn equipment, and all landscaping too.... I should have never even stopped in yesterday. I cant leave well enough alone.

Bigg_Redd... Love the comment. 2012-04-01_13-12-55_317.jpg 2012-04-01_13-12-39_986.jpg

Reactions: smokinj and ScotO
I'd get the 576 package deal. You can always send it out for some port work down the road. Then you'll have a 660 killer.

I'd get the 576 package deal. You can always send it out for some port work down the road. Then you'll have a 660 killer.

There is no such a thing as a good pro saw killer! Now the killer is splitting the rounds these saws can make. Never seen a splitting crew yet even keep up with me at my age and a baby 460.6 cord silver maple.jpg zzzaaaaa.jpg

And I have the best splitting crew there is! :)

Well... Mama gave me the Green light to buy a New Mower. The Old Cub Cadet has seen better.

Gonna look at the Husqvarna mowers (something in the 66"-74" category) and also look at the Hustler and Grass Hopper line at the Stihl dealer.
Still getting a Saw. But the Mower I have been wanting for 2 yrs. With the new baby last Summer, it wasnt happening.

Love my Wife....... So the pics that were forthcoming today... May be a couple days. So I can "haggle" and get the best deal..

Reactions: smokinj
From the looks of your saws and the number of different toys you want/buy, I might suggest you actually get out and USE them b4 buying anything else.

It all gets used. Some people just take care of things, better than others. A little time after every use goes a long way.

I have a 99 Honda 400 EX that looks brand new to this day and gets ridden a LOT. Everything I own, I take pride in operating, owning, and cleaning.

Both Stihls I own are used. The 036 is about 10 yrs old and the 192 (just got it last momth for $140) is a few yrs old. The 036 has a new bar on it in the pic, but I have 3 bars for it. Gonna sell the Huskys and just have the 192, 036, and prob 460.

As for everything else. My mower is about 8 yrs old and gonna need some money this year (a jackshaft, belts, blades, and a new left drive pump (reverse dont work). It has a few thousand hrs and the valve guides need replaced.

Having "toys" is what its about... Some people spend thousands on Toys, only to abuse them and let them deteriorate and degrade into nothing. Some people spend the same money and take a little pride in their investments.

At the end of the day, its all an investment. Just matters how well you take care of it/them. And what the return is worth to you. ;)

Reactions: smokinj
Sounds like you have some serious grass to cut. My yard tractor is a 99 and it only has about 300 hrs on it. Gets used year round too, snowblowing in the winter, grass in the summer and of course hauling a cart around with wood, dirt, dog doo, etc, etc, etc.

Seems like you want the 460 or 660 so I suggest you get the one you want most out of those two. If you don't have a true need for one over the other I'd get the one that you just want so you don't buy another a year from now. I always wanted a 460 and ran into some wood that I could use to justify it. Then I started considering all my options and got very confused. Luckily I went and got my 460. It's what I wanted. It doesn't get many hours put on it but I love having it and I don't care about weight or fuel efficiency. I'm not a pro and don't "need" a saw this big so I just got what I wanted. And all my saws get used but none get abused. Other than the paint fading a bit on some of them they all look pretty darn good when I clean them up. Good luck.

If you get a Stihl, consider an ES Light bar. I have a 28" ES Light on my 460 and it balances very nicely.

Sealed the deal on a Dixie Chopper mower yesterday (74" cut Excalibur model) so I didnt have time to get the Saw. Stopping here in a little bit. I pick the Mower up tomorrow... Its a Big Beast.... Thinkin 460..

Well... I just got back.. Got the 460.

They gave me a decent deal. $989 on the sticker. $919 was what they gave it to me for. 25" bar and a 6 pack of oil to boot..

Wow... The 036 aint no slouch. But this thing is Crazy.

My BIL is still getting the Husky. So I can still work a deal with them on my Hedge trimmer attachment, for the weed eater.

Thanks everyone for your input.. And a pic to prove it happened. And another as a family (clean family) ;)460.jpg

Attachments

• 2012-04-03_16-49-28_607.jpg
    2012-04-03_16-49-28_607.jpg
    814.7 KB · Views: 859
Very nice. I predict the 036 will be for sale in 6 months (unless you're collecting saws like me :))

Very nice. I predict the 036 will be for sale in 6 months (unless you're collecting saws like me :))

Im gonna start collecting. ;) .. Gonna sell anything not worth while. The 455 may be going on Craiglist soon.. But none of the Stihls.. ;)

Reactions: MasterMech
Well... I just got back.. Got the 460.

They gave me a decent deal. $989 on the sticker. $919 was what they gave it to me for. 25" bar and a 6 pack of oil to boot..

Wow... The 036 aint no slouch. But this thing is Crazy.

My BIL is still getting the Husky. So I can still work a deal with them on my Hedge trimmer attachment, for the weed eater.

Thanks everyone for your input.. And a pic to prove it happened. And another as a family (clean family) ;)View attachment 64685

Wait til its broken in. That 460 will spank the crap out of an 036. Takes about 5 tanks of fuel before its really cuttin.

Reactions: DexterDay
Dang. . . the 660 woulda gotten you

No flippy caps

Double Dawgs

Well, at least ya didn't buy Husq

Dang. . . the 660 woulda gotten you

No flippy caps

Double Dawgs

Well, at least ya didn't buy Husq

Those two saw's are much closer than you would think. Bump stips are much faster as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.