Stihl 661 mtronic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodhog73

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2016
Somewhere cold !
I've got a demo saw sitting in my garage. Well actually a friends saw who happens to be a salesman at the local hardware store. They sell Stihl.

He's trying to talk me into a 661. Cause he has a few new ones and apparently can't sell them.

I'm working on a friends land tomorrow and we are taking down a few trees. I believe 3 dead red oaks and 2 cotton woods that he wants down. And processed . Gonna drop them and skid them to his barn and another guy is coming to pick up the logs and chip the brush.

So I'm gonna run this 661 which is a used saw my friend has. It's a saw he has borrowed a few times from his boss and now wants to sell it to me.

So I'm gonna try it tomorrow with a 25 inch bar on it and see if I'm convinced to handover cash. It's gotta completely blow me away to buy it because my Jonsered 2166/2172 is an absolute awesome runner and 2 lbs lighter. But obviously 20cc smaller . And I don't run big saws that often anymore ( although I've always got to have one in the garage just in case)

Anyone on here have a 661 ? Thoughts ? Opinions ?

I can buy it for $1000 slightly used. Less than or right around 10 tanks run in it. It's basically new just getting broken in and is a dealer saw still sold as new but it's cut a few trees, so I would get the warranty with it. Not sure how Stihl feels about that I don't really care. I'd probably get $500 tops for my Jonsered perhaps only $400 it's been run a lot and it shows .

Financially it's a no brainer newer bigger saw. But my Jonsered still serves me well, it's same as a classic Husky 372xp. It runs well and is powerful.

Dam salesman ! Pretty much begged me to run it tomorrow cause they can't sell a saw bigger than 60cc !

Last edited:
Run with it. I have not ran the new 661 just the 660. See what you think I'm curious, it's supposed to be a better saw but more electronics has me wondering how it will hold up. A grand is a lot so you better like it unless you have money to spend. Let us know how it does!

I couldn't wait so I went out and cut a dead oak on my property. Just dropped it and bucked up into 16 inch logs.

I'm guessing based on size of the tree it's going to yield 2 or 3 face cords. . I just didn't need the extra work.

Saw is awesome. Not surprised it's a fair amount stronger than my 70cc. It's heavy but feels modern and very low vibration. It runs perfect no hint of any lean or rich condition. So mtronic is working.

I'm gonna cut with it tomorrow I suspect I will burn a gallon of premix in it. Then I'll decide but I'm thinking I will buy it.

It's impressive .

Not sure how much difference there is between the 661 and the 066 but many consider the 066/660 the best saw Stihl made.

I wouldn't expect to notice that much of a difference speed wise with only a 25" bar on it. I never really understood why someone would buy such a large saw and put a bar that small on. Cutting wise, my 660 and 372 are fairly close. But I can bury the 28" on the 660 and it doesn't slow down a bit. I know that wouldn't be true with the 372.

Reactions: heavy hammer
Cutting wise, my 660 and 372 are fairly close. But I can bury the 28" on the 660 and it doesn't slow down a bit. I know that wouldn't be true with the 372.

Just getting ready for a full day of cutting. Ofcourse it's going to be 80degrees out today not the most ideal temps for this much work. Heading there in 20 minute.

Good info on the 660 vs 372. Basically same saws I'm dealing with. Interesting you don't notice much difference in smaller wood. I'm not surprised my 2166/2172 has always impressed me with how strong it runs.

This 661 just seems like a good deal. The 25 inch bar is just what's on it. If I buy this saw I'll probably keep the 25 inch on it though but grab a bigger bar to use when needed. I do cut bigger wood sometimes 36 to 40 inches but I manage it with the 24 inch bar on my 2166/2172. I've run a 28inch on the Jonsered but it slows the saw down noticeably.

If I keep my Jonsered and pick up this 661 as an additional saw perhaps I'll just stick a big bar on the Stihl.

Reactions: heavy hammer
The 36 inch bar is a nice fit for that saw I run those two sizes 25 and 36. Been awhile since I have used the 36 inch on it though just because I have a 880 with only a 36 inch bar just easier to pull that out to give it some use. For a grand that is a pretty good price for basically a new saw, I would probably buy it. If it does sit you could always sell it for what you paid for it.

Well I think I'm gonna keep the 661. My wife asked me this morning why I didn't give it back to my friend. Was hesitant to reply !

He's off today I'll see him tomorrow night but I'm thinking I'm bringing him $1000 bucks instead of the saw.

Impressions were awesome. It is faster than my Jonsered buy I expected that. We cut some pretty big wood. I ran them side by side. The guy I was cutting with has only an 036 so I let him use my Jonsered most of the day. The 036 is a great saw but this was big hardwoods and it was definitely slower and more work than either of the 2 big saws I had with me.

I've got to say though I'm still disappointed in the air filter. Because I wasn't 100 percent sure if I'd buy the 661 I tried not to use it the entire day. My Jonsered was running all day. And the 661s air filter was slightly dusty at the end of the day compared to the Jred. But that's a minor complaint I keep an eye on my filters all the time.

Just need to decide if I'm going to sell the Jonsered or keep it. I really don't need both.

And after running these saws all day yesterday I'm glad I have my little 50cc saw ! Heavy saws for 9 hours of work is hard on my back !

Just got done running the 660 all day cut 12 truck loads of black locust today. I know what you mean with the back but it feels good. Glad you liked the saw have heard great things about it want to try one out myself. Take some pics.

Heavy saws for 9 hours of work is hard on my back !
Is hard on ANYBODY'S back. Maybe its cuz I am getting older and wiser....naaaa, Older, anyhow - I take plenty of breaks anymore. I have enough pains that I don't need to manufacture any more of them.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Status
Not open for further replies.