Stihl MS 362 vs MS 362 C-M & more..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gareth96

Burning Hunk
Feb 8, 2014
SW Ohio
For 5-6 cords a year of say 20" trees.. I started at a MS290 Farm Boss, but those are on their way out supposedly. So I thought MS291.. but then for a bit more I could get a MS311.. but for a bigger bit more I could get a MS362..

But should I consider the MS362 C-M at whatever they are above the MS362? Is it worth the extra $$$ for the m-tronic?

Oh, and if you can't tell.. I'm a chainsaw noob...

Last edited:
The ms 290 with an 18" bar....buy the syn oil get a two year warranty....when warranty is up do the muffler mod ..open the exhaust ports up...you will have a beast chainsaw....mine is brand new..with a sharp rs chain it flat out rips...you wont have to worry about spare parts as they should be available for a long time..people say its a heavy saw for 57 cc..but for firewood it does a great job...remember we are not pro loggers..the 290 will serve you well...there is a reason they are stihls best selling saw...>>>>JMO

Yeah, I'd have probably gotten a 290, but both the dealers I talked to said they can't get them any more. The 291 is over $100 more.. So I was thinking if I had to spend $500 on a 291, I might as well go $719 on a 362? Everyone here says go pro..

Joful - Thanks for the link, but I got more out of how to mod the m-tronic out of that. Still not really sure if the m-tronic is worth the boost in price?

Geez... I paid $500 for my 85 cc pro 064 AV! Very low hours saw, by all assessments. My 62 cc 036 Pro was $300, and appeared almost unused. I'd not be paying $500 for a 291.

Reactions: smokedragon
Nothing wrong with that. My reaction was more just surprise for what a 291 costs.

I just don't know enough about them to feel confident buying a used one.. So I'm pretty set on the MS362..

Its one heck of a firewood saw.

I guess their price points will steady out in a while.. I figured for $200 more (well $250ish after tax) I might as well go pro..

Reactions: clemsonfor
For 5-6 cords a year of say 20" trees.. I started at a MS290 Farm Boss, but those are on their way out supposedly. So I thought MS291.. but then for a bit more I could get a MS311.. but for a bigger bit more I could get a MS362..

But should I consider the MS362 C-M at whatever they are above the MS362? Is it worth the extra $$$ for the m-tronic?

Not to me.

Geez... I paid $500 for my 85 cc pro 064 AV! Very low hours saw, by all assessments. My 62 cc 036 Pro was $300, and appeared almost unused. I'd not be paying $500 for a 291.
Where did you find a good price on your 036?

Where did you find a good price on your 036?
Private sale, but that's not an exceptionally good price. Typical going price for an 036 is $300 in average used condition, to $400 in exceptionally clean condition. Mine was very clean and had very few signs of any use, but the prior owner had tried cutting tree roots out of the ground without even running bar oil and trashed the bar and sprocket. I paid $300 for the saw, slapped a new ES bar and rim sprocket on it, and was good to go. So, I guess I actually have $370 in it, plus chains.

I have the ms 290 and the 362 cm. I have had the 290 for some time and it is a good saw. Was looking for something with a little more power for some bigger trees. I was looking at the 440 but dealer sold me on the 362cm. I have cut roughly 10 cord with it in the last 2 months and could not be more happy. I notice it does use a little more fuel than my 290 but I believe I can get more cut with the 362. I run 20 inch bars on both. Bought a 24 for 362 for those bigger trees and noodling. Thinking of putting an 18 on 290. Also if the weight of both are very similar but the power advantage goes to 362.
I did a lot of research on here before I purchased and tried to soak in all the knowledge floating around this site. A lot of good people here

Good luck with your purchase

My dealer still has at least 1 MS290 and its been there for a while. He also has the MS291. I don't think either are big sellers for him but he also mostly caters to the local tree companies who typically purchase the pro level saws anyway. If I were you and you've decided on a Stihl saw, I'd go with the MS362 with a 20" bar and don't look back. Please let us know what you decide and with pics of course.

Reactions: Turbo
Yeah, the local dealer called the regional distributor and he said they sold out of the MS290 in this area last fall. With all I've read on the advantages of a pro saw, including ability to be rebuilt, I'm going for the MS362 (non m-tronic version). Won't pick it up for another week or so though as I'm in the middle (well somewhere between start and finish) of my stove install.

Thanks all for the help! May post a pic after my first cord of wood..

Reactions: Ashful
With all I've read on the advantages of a pro saw, including ability to be rebuilt, I'm going for the MS362...
You won't regret that decision one bit. Now the focus changes... what will be your second saw? ;lol

Reactions: D8Chumley and Jags
Hopefully the MS180 and MS362 take care of anything that I would get in to.. I have other toys to buy! :)

Reactions: JoeyD
I can appreciate that, but if you're getting the 362, I'd sell that 180 and use the coin to buy a top-handle saw. Even the old Echo top-handles are a joy to use for limbing and clean-up, and I've seen guys here pick those up very cheap (I think I saw 3 for $75 once?). You won't find much use for that 180, anyway, once you have the 362 in your shed.

Reactions: Gareth96

I have the MS 290, but if you are considering upgrading, why not go with the MS 391, it is 80 dollars more.

I love my 290, but knowing what I know now, I would gladly give 80 dollars more for the 391.

The 391 is priced 550 at my local dealer, the 291 is priced 470.

With that said, if you are looking at that volume and keeping the trees under 24" across, the 290 will do a fine job (it does for me). If you are new to chainsaws, you will think it is the most powerful tool you have ever held ==c

But after using a 290 for four years, I wish I had sprung bigger. Problem is, if you go small now, you have a still very nice saw that you can't get your money back out of to upgrade.

My $0.02

I have the MS 290, but if you are considering upgrading, why not go with the MS 391, it is 80 dollars more.
Because the MS391 is less powerful, heavier, and more cheaply made than the MS 362 he already decided to buy!

If you want a saw you can use until it's worn out and then throw away, get the 391. If you want a saw you can rebuild or later resell at a good price, get the 362.

I don't disagree with that.....but I still think the 391 is more saw than the 290 he was originally looking at.

I was saying 80 dollars difference between the 291 and 391, it's worth the 80 bucks. You are saying 260 bucks more between the 291 and 362. If he has that kind of coin, go for it.

I don't think any one who is cutting firewood would be unhappy with a professional saw. But there are plenty who cut with saw one step below and do fine.

When I first got my 290, I was upgrading from an old undersized homelite and thought it was the most awesome tool ever. I wish someone on this forum had pointed me at the 391 or 362, or something like your 064AV. Do I need any of those, nah. Can I live with my 290, sure. Would I love to get a bigger saw now that I have cut with my MS290 for four years, you bet I would.

As for the discardable saw argument.....there are lots of saws made like that (that if well cared for) last long enough you don't feel the need to repair them.

True, dat. Going back to my earlier comments about the 291, it's amazing they even sell that saw. I mean... $80 more for the 391? It's a no-brainer!

That said, the 362 is even better. ::-)

The 064 is crazy fun, at least half due to the noises friends make when you show up their house to cut something, and fire that saw up. Twice I've had friends show up with their 60 cc saws to help me buck up something big (eg. a giant oak that fell at church), and put their saws away before even getting them started, when they saw how fast that 064 turns chips. ;lol

If you were anywhere close by, I would stop by on a saturday with a log (just for the show).

I have looked at possibly snagging an older 044 or 041 on craigslist (have yet to see anything bigger around here for sale). What do you think of those?

How do you find the quality and durability on the older Stihl's that have been used heavily?

In advance......sorry Mods for hijacking the thread ::-)

I have looked at possibly snagging an older 044 or 041 on craigslist (have yet to see anything bigger around here for sale). What do you think of those?

How do you find the quality and durability on the older Stihl's that have been used heavily?

In advance......sorry Mods for hijacking the thread ::-)

stay away from Stihl 041 as that's not a pro saw. when buying used especially if you are not versed in Stihl chainsaws. stack things in your favor by only buying pro models with low hours. stay away from ALL chainsaws that's had the crap ran out of em... stay away from top handle chainsaws unless you've got a specific need like climbing.

even the very best chainsaws will wear out .. most tree crews don't own their saws so they will run it to the ground. their personal saws will stay pristine, but work saws gets beaten to death.

Stihl 044 is one of the very best chainsaws ever made .. a bit small for big take downs but more than powerful enough for most folks.

here's a few chainsaws after taking down a 5ft DBH Oak
bottom to top: Stihl 046 w/ 20in bar ... 084 w/ 4ft bar and 064 w/ 24in bar
DSC00424.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.