Stihls chains

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

marty319

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2014
Belair mb
retired my stihl 291 and just bought a ms261 both 16 bars .325 chains .can I use the 291 chain on the 261

I have a 262 and have it set up for a 3/8 chain. It still cuts like a light sabre. I didn't want to run saws with different chains if I didn't have to.

This thread has really got me thinking. We should implement a feature where your font size gets bigger every time you contribute something helpful but it gets smaller every time you engage in internet dick-waving. ;lol

Reactions: BIGChrisNH
Look at both bars, the relevant chain information will be stamped.
You will find chain gauge: .050" .058" or .063"
Pitch: .325 in your case
length: in drive links, probably 60

Make sure both saw bars are the same gauge or you will have issues with your bar.

Look for new Light 04 bar from Stihl: Stihl .325 RS PRO chain + 04 Light and Light 04 bar
UK Stihl website. Who knows when (if ?) release set for US.​
for MS 261, MS 271 and MS 291
It's .325 pitch with .050 gauge. Something Stihl hadn't offered before.

Reactions: JimBear