Still havent decided

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
rickw said:
Re: rear clearance for Woodstock

They make a rear heat shield for the Fireview, goes on easy. Drops the rear clearance to 18" from combustibles.

Oh, and directly under the stove the tiles are actually cool to the touch (this after nearly a week of continuous burn). The radiation shield supplied with the stove works very well. The recommended single layer of 1/2" Durock or Wonderboard under tile seems like plenty of insulation.

That's the problem. 18" is a HUGE rear clearance requirement. The other stove in his lineup, the T5, has like a 4" requirement which is really due to the flue collar needing 6" for double wall. In these small houses, scooting the whole stove (especially with a raised hearth) out into the living space 14" is a big deal. You'll be tripping over that hearth all through the summer too. The only saving grace for the fireview is that the front window is not a door so you don't need to go the full 16-18" beyond the front with the hearth.

There is nothing simpler than a modern non-cat as on the hearthstones. There is a single air lever. Like one. You move it one way for more fire and the other way for less fire. While I think the added difficulty of operating a second lever at a certain temp for the cat is totally worth it, nobody can claim that it is easier.

Highbeam - OK I'll bite..

As you point out, the side load door means the Fireview has a hearth depth requirement only 3 or 4" greater than the T5. Realistically, the true footprint of any stove (in use) is a lot bigger than the hearth - because it will be the focal point of the room. Chairs will be arranged around it, etc. Also, got the whole top surface for cooking (handy in a blackout).

As far as the controls go: Are you seriously contending that the incremental effort needed to flip one additional lever (on-off, no adjustment) compares to the convenience (and economy)of not having to reload as often? I think that's a tough argument to make.

That said , I looked (again) at the reviews on the PE's. Overall excellent, maybe a few concerns about the baffle. Hard to say that's a wrong choice.

That's what I was going to point out. The fireviews front clearance is only 8" instead of 18" for front loaders, so that kinda makes up for the larger rear clearance. It would be nice to see the Fireview with an adjustable exit tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.