EatenByLimestone Posted By EatenByLimestone, Mar 11, 2019 at 12:33 PM

1. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 12, 2006
    Loc:
    Schenectady, NY

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    kvesi122 likes this.
  2. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Hmm, why haven't we seen more of that kind of thing?

4. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    They're hard to get in the US. A posting on them shows up about once or twice a year.

5. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Don't remember seeing. Seems they would be better performers than the TEGs? From quick look?

6. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 12, 2006
    Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    Yeah, I see TEG stuff all the time.

7. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    If you want more power for a big fan and maybe a generator then there is this wood stove option:

8. webby3650

webby3650
    Master of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 2, 2008
    Loc:
    Indiana
    They are supposed to move a lot more air than an eco fan. Hearthstone offers one as if they came up with it. $599! Straight from Stirling is about half that price..

9. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 12, 2006
    Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    weatherguy likes this.
  10. showrguy

showrguy
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Aug 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Marysville, Pa.
  11. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 12, 2006
    Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    Cool! Please review it once you get to use it a while!

12. showrguy

showrguy
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Aug 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Marysville, Pa.
    Sure,
    I don't need it to move air, got that covered with a pair of 72" ceiling fans in the great room..
    More of a conversation piece..

13. Dug8498

Dug8498
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jun 20, 2018
    Loc:
    Southern NH
    I had to order my Vulcan fan from the uk. Well under $200 with shipping. I quite like it. It definitely does move some air especially at stove temps over 600f. It needs a temp of a little over 400 to even move. I like mine quite a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

webby3650 likes this.
  14. ED 3000

ED 3000
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 23, 2015
    Loc:
    SEPA
    This is cool, but it'd be even better if this was available for insert blowers. No more worry about power outages or messing with the cord, which is annoying.

15. Dug8498

Dug8498
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jun 20, 2018
    Loc:
    Southern NH

That would be awesome but these don’t move nearly as much air as a blower unfortunately

Maybe the technology will be there one day who knows!

16. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    It could be done, but would take some novel design of both the insert and fan. There are stirling stove top fans that move 3-400 cfm.

17. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 12, 2006
    Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    They work off temperature differential. If the engine was stuck in a fireplace, there might not be much temperature differential after a bit.

18. Corey

Corey
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 19, 2005
    Loc:
    Midwest
    Well, I hope everyone is happy! Reading this thread, plus a timely 15% off coupon from ebay led me to buy one of these...

Reproduction of an East India '1818' fan. For some weird reason, it's billed as a 'steam' fan, but pretty clearly a Stirling design. It's designed to run off an alcohol / kerosene burner, not stove top... but since it's a repro, I wouldn't have much hesitation cutting it down and/or remodeling it to work on a stove top. As mentioned above... more a conversation piece as opposed to real air moving - though most Stirling fans can at least whip up a modest breeze. Downside is, the burner is mostly enclosed, so you don't get light and heat like some of the Lakebreeze models.

Oh well... waiting on the barge from India now!

east india repro.jpg

begreen likes this.
  19. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I'm thinking an insert with side bays that house the blowers like the PE. The hot side would be in contact with the firebox and the cool side could have a little vent window or louver on the outside. An adaptation of this drive would be interesting.
    Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 4.24.28 PM.png

20. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 12, 2006
    Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    440 cfm fan would be a great mover of air!

SpaceBus likes this.
  21. Dug8498

Dug8498
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jun 20, 2018
    Loc:
    Southern NH
    My Vulcan fan definitely doesn’t move anywhere close to 3-400 cfms. I saw a few sterling engine fans that advertised some impressive cfms but they were (1) pretty damn big and (2) pretty damn expensive

Edit- I just looked up that WarpFive fan that begreen posted and it’s not a whole lot bigger than mine but capable of cranking 440 cfms. That’s impressive. Not sure I could justify $500 on one though

22. jetsam

jetsam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 12, 2015
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    I have a $30 electric tegfan on my insert, but it does have a few inches of stovetop in front of the convection deck.

It doesn't push a ton of air, but it runs at low temperatures (~250°F+?), and has greatly reduced the amount that I run the built in blowers this year.

Honestly, I think if you measured the surface area of the fan's heat sink, you'd find that it is a significant fraction of the insert's surface area.

23. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I had an ecofan, it lasted 10 years before the motor bearings started running dry. Now I have a cheapy Amazon $39.95 fan. It's already going slower after just a season and a half.

24. SpaceBus

SpaceBus
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 18, 2018
    Loc:
    Downeast Maine
    I take it the bearings are not serviceable.